Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Emberpaw sat in the shade of a pine, her head on her paws. She couldn't believe how angry Maplefur had been, and not just because she had accidentally unsheathed her claws. It was also because she was half-clan.

"Half-clan isn't the word to describe it. Maybe quarter-clan," Emberpaw murmured to herself. She understood that her dad was from RiverClan and ShadowClan. It was because his parents had broken the warrior code. And Emberpaw's mother, Flameheat, was ThunderClan and WindClan.

"That's why I'm so fast, and I know how to swim." Emberpaw mused. "And I'm also silent on my paws and can hunt at night. That's ShadowClan's part."

She thought about ThunderClan's part. "Maybe I can fight and hunt in brambles," She muttered.

"Emberpaw!"

She turned her head to see Brackenblaze push past some pine branches and make his way over to her.

"Look, you need to go back to train. I know what Maplefur said, but she was just angry at you. Besides, you probably need to get that scratch looked at."

Emberpaw shook her head. "I'm fine, and I don't need it to be looked at." She hissed before standing up and following Brackenblaze to the training clearing.

Emberpaw leapt down into the clearing. Maplefur gave her a glare from the far side of the clearing.

"Let's continue. Emberpaw and Ravenpaw, switch sides."

Emberpaw flicked her tail and crossed over to sit next to Blackpaw. He rudely moved away from her, and Emberpaw glanced at him. The dark tabby refused to look at her.

"Okay. Blackpaw and I will be the offense," Longclaw mewed. "Maplefur and Emberpaw, you stay here and are the defense."

Maplefur rolled her eyes. "Fine," Emberpaw meowed.

"We're ready!" Brackenblaze called from the other side.

"Go!" Longclaw meowed.

Emberpaw, who was getting tired of the training, sat down and licked her dirty paws.

"Hey, Emberpaw, it isn't time for you to wash yourself." Maplefur hissed.

"I can do what I want," She replied calmly.

"Not on my time."

Emberpaw turned to Maplefur, her eyes blazing. "Will you leave me alone?" She hissed.

"Why should I, Emberpaw?" Maplefur asked. "You don't belong in ShadowClan, though I bet that ThunderClan will take you in."

Emberpaw stood up. "Do you want to talk to my claws about this?" She threatened.

"I'm not scared of you, Emberpaw." The she-cat replied smoothly.

"Well, you should be." Emberpaw unsheathed her claws and launched herself onto her Clanmate.

The she-cat yowled and claws struck Emberpaw's pelt as she landed in front of Maplefur. Emberpaw twisted away and leapt on top of Maplefur's back. Her leg splayed to the side as she collapsed, and the she-cat cried out.

Emberpaw slid her claws out all the way and raked them down the she-cat's back. Maplefur flung her away, and Emberpaw righted herself and charged again.

"Emberpaw, Maplefur!" Ambersap's disgusted voice rang around the clearing. But Emberpaw, driven by fury, shoved Maplefur back with her shoulder and put all her weight on her, shoving her back. She held her down with a paw on her throat, and raked her other paw down the she-cat's stomach.