Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Emberpaw’s heart raced as she walked beside Sparrowpaw. The moon was high in the sky, full and bright, casting light upon the pines. She bounced lightly on her paws as the group of cats moved silently through the brush.

They moved through some bushes and descended a slope. Emberpaw pushed past some branches, revealing a brilliant cluster of shimmery white water. An island full of pelts and chatter sat in the middle of it all.

Sparrowpaw guided her down to the shoreline, and he hopped up onto a slippery log. “Come across this way,” He beckoned with his tail for her to follow.

Emberpaw bounded over the wet log, plunging into the warm sand beyond.

“ShadowClan is finally here,” A silky voice rang across the island. Leaping from a tall oak, a cream color she-cat with light patches crossed over to Darkstar.

“Applestar,” He mewed. “It’s nice to see you again."

“Applestar is ThunderClan’s leader. Of course, you know Minnowstar of RiverClan. WindClan’s leader is Ashstar.” Sparrowpaw nodded to a silver she-cat with clear blue eyes.

Emberpaw nodded and moved around the island a bit. Sparrowpaw stood next to her and nudged her into a group of apprentices.

“Hey, guys. This is my friend, Emberpaw.”

The cats examined her carefully, and one of the cats gave her a slight smile.

Emberpaw’s eyes skimmed over the group before resting on a familiar face; a sleek silver tom with amber eyes. He seemed to recognize her too, and he sat up a little straighter. He was the tom from RiverClan that had basically ripped off her pelt and tried to drown her only a few days ago.

“I’m Streakpaw,” He dipped his head.

Emberpaw felt a surge of anger, but remembered instantly that he had let her go instead of tearing her ears off. “Nice to meet you,” She nodded. “Well, meet you properly.”

“What? Have you two met before?” Sparrowpaw nudged her and winked.

Emberpaw glanced at Sparrowpaw. “It’s not like that.” She mewed. “I crossed the border on accident and he attacked me."

Sparrowpaw snorted. “Did you chase him off his own territory?” He teased.

“Well, no… He won,” Emberpaw sat close to Sparrowpaw as the other cats gave her odd glances.

“So, Blossompaw, did you pass your assessment?” Sparrowpaw asked a mottled brown tabby she-cat.

“It’s not Blossompaw anymore; I’m a warrior now,” She purred.

“Then why are you still hanging out with us?” A black and white tom asked.

“Don’t be mouse-brained, Patchpaw. I’m still your friend, warrior or apprentice.” The she-cat meowed.

A hush fell over the groups of cats clustered together to keep warm in the night chill as Ashstar’s tail tip flicked in annoyance.

Then, Applestar stepped up to speak first. “This moon, we have two new kits in the nursery, and plenty of prey. Wrenfeather has given birth to Moonkit and Stemkit!”

Praise and compliments ran through the crowd.

“ThunderClan also has a new apprentice, Robinpaw.”

The cats in the clearing looked about, cheering the name. A red tabby tom was sitting with his ears perked and his chest out.

Ashstar went next. “WindClan is faring well.” She nodded. “We have a new warrior; Blossomheather,” The she-cat smiled.