Chapter 24

A/N:
4 Chapters Left!!!

(Maxon's POV)
I stand up to make a semi- important announcement. All the girls suddenly tense up as if I was going to eliminate someone right now.
"Girls, today you are going to officially resume your project. The first royal family will be arriving in 2 days. And, just a reminder, that at the end of this project, all but 4 girls will be eliminated." I don't know why I chose 4, but I already know who I want to eliminate. There's a few girls I have to keep. For example, I have to keep Marlee because she's the country's favorite. I have to keep Elise because she has a powerful family that can help our war situation. Obviously, I'm keeping America because I love her. And Kriss, well, she's my, um, second choice. Even though she's not America, I like to hang out with Kriss, too. I then sit down to eat. The meal is pretty uneventful. I look over at America and see her talking animatedly to Kriss. Silvia then walks into the room and tells everybody that they have to keep working on their project. I catch America's eye and tug my ear. She nods and tugs hers in response.
"Maxon?" I turn around to see my mother.
"Yes, mother?"
"Can I speak to you?" At first, I start to feel worried. But then, I see the warmth in her eyes and know it's not an issue I have to worry about. We walk out of the room and up to the bedroom.
"Maxon, son. I can tell you already know who you are going to eliminate next." I nod my head in response. But why would she care? It's my Selection, not hers.
"Why?" I simply ask; there's no need to be rude for no reason.
"That's not what I came here to ask you. We already have 10 girls, yes? So why cut it down from 10 to 4? You know we have to drag out the suspense for the public."
"Mom-"
"Maxon, sweetie, I trust your opinion, but seriously? Do your father and I a favor and drag out the suspense or else we might not hear the end of it from Silvia." Of course, that was the flaw in my plan. Silvia and her stupid OCD-ness.
"Can I do 5, mom?"
"Fine, Maxon. Just remember what I said." And then I remember something else.
"Mom?" She turns around from the doorway.
"Yes, son?"
"The Halloween Ball tonight.. You going?" She smiles and says,
"Yes, I'm going to be the pirate's mom." She laughs giddily to herself and walks out of my room. I sit there and stare at the wall. Who should be the 5th person that I keep? Celeste, the bratty, selfish girl who I can tell only cares about the crown? No. Tiny, the girl who can hardly speak above a whisper? Or Natalie, the girl whom I hardly know and have only taken on 3 or so dates? She seems like the best bet so I'll keep her. I turn around and walk out the door. There's a date I need to go to. When I get to America's room, I knock softly on the door.
"America?" There's no answer so I slowly open the door. Nobody is there. I whip my body around and look at the clock. That's why she's not here, I think. She's probably with her family in the banquet hall. I run through the corridors, remembering that I was supposed to greet the families and show the dads and brothers around the palace. Hopefully Silvia was there to tour the moms and sisters, but knowing her, she was probably there ages ago. Sure enough, when I get there she's already talking with the families. I see America smiling a really happy smile and it makes my heart swell. That's when it really hits me. She is really the only one I want to marry. No matter how much time she wants, I still want to marry her. I just want to make her happy. I make a mental note to get permission from her dad later. He's obviously the tall red-headed guy that is smiling proudly next to America. It's kind of hard to miss. Silvia then makes a gesture to me that's probably telling all the dads and brothers where to go. I smile and all the guys come over. We don't wait for Silvia to stop talking because sometimes she can talk forever. It's so annoying! I give the tour and what not and then show all of the men to the rooms they will be staying in with their wives. Then I spot America's father and beckon him over. We walk over to the room where the ball will be held.
"There's something I have to ask you," I tell him.

Comment, Vote, Follow!!!:) Next chapter will be a lot better, I promise!