Chapter 2

Aurora's POV

"E-Excuse me?" I sputter. Hope puts a finger to her lips and laughs. "Hush. They say if the priest thinks you're going to heaven, you will no matter what because they're the eyes of God." she says simply. My jaw falls for the second time today and my heart slams into my ribs. I shake my head and scoff. "That's fucked up. But I guess it doesn't matter since God isn't real anyways," I roll my eyes. "So Father Gabriel seems to like you a lot. Like, quite a-" I stop when my eyes meet Hope's and I see she's scowling and her green eyes grow darker at me.

"How dare you. Heaven has to be real. There's not just- just NOTHING." Hope seethes. I throw my hands up and shrug. "I don't mean to offend, there's just no real... proof. Aside from men's words. But at those times, people were desperate for a purpose and hope. Ha, hope." Her angry eyebrows soften and she turns to face the front, arms folded across her chest. I see her swallow and blink her eyes quickly, so I turn immediately to the window.

I am not skilled at comforting others. I don't want to see her cry even though I believe it is me who offended her. "I'm sorry." I whisper. Hope turns to me and nods. "It isn't your fault." I yearn for her to tell me more. Those green eyes hold a story, changing emotion so quickly, so easily. I clear my throat and squeeze my hands together in my lap. I'm unsure what to do or say now.  Hope takes this responsibility away from me. "So," she swallows. "I won't tell Father Gabriel you don't believe in God so maybe you have a chance at heaven." I roll my eyes but mutter "Thanks."
•••
"Alriiiight, guys! We're here!" Father Gabriel's voice echoes. Everyone begins shoving into the aisle and grabbing their luggage from overhead compartments. After we've gathered into a large group outside the bus, Father Gabriel introduces a red headed woman as Sahara. Sahara discusses the arrangements of food, telling them that 3 meals are provided a day and there is a 24/7 vending machine available. Someone asks about a canteen, which Sahara confirms is open from 6am- 9pm.

She then explains that we are required to pitch our tents at predetermined spots in the woods, which are all decently far from each other. "So we really will be pretty much alone in the woods unless it's activity or meal time?" Rico asks the camp leader. "Yep, you have to make your own fire as well with firewood you gather with your partner. Night time in the woods is cold, but you'll be sweating in the day."

After the meeting, I've learned that each tent spot has a radio posted so we can contact anyone we need to and there is nothing planned tonight aside from dinner. It's currently 4 and dinner is at 7. We're each given a tent, matches, a first aid kit, lighter fluid, a map, and a schedule. "Want to get going?" I ask Hope. "It's a mile hike." She nods and puts her luggage on her back. I carry the supplies and she carries the tent. I tried to grab the tent because her luggage was larger than mine, but she stepped in front of me and strutted off.

We walk over logs along a faintly marked pathway and cross a small creek with a bridge until we reach our tent spot. There is a wooden post with the number 7 on it and a metal weatherproof box containing a radio.  Hope tosses the tent onto the ground next to the post and begins opening the bag. I help her bend poles through fabric and push posts into the hard dirt. After 10 minutes of sweating and accidentally hitting ourselves in the face with poles, our blue tent is up and stable.

Hope stands and smiles. "We did well, Aurora." she observes. I nod and begin bringing my luggage into the tent. Inside is rather large and we are nearly able to stand inside. We have enough room to both comfortably fit with luggage. I roll out my sleeping bag when Hope laughs and says, "Oh you don't need that," she pulls a large bag out of her luggage. "I have an air mattress." Suddenly I love camping with Hope. I am overjoyed to help fill the air mattress because I won't have rocks breaking my back.

I realize Hope has brought quite a few belongings, including a large duvet and many many outfits. All her clothes are folded neatly and look expensive. "So much for spiritual connections with the wilderness, huh?" she laughs.  "Yeah, it doesn't even really feel like camping anymore." I reply. Hope nods and adds,"Father Gabriel made sure I got the biggest tent because I'm his favorite." I'm slightly discomforted by her use of Father Gabriel to benefit herself. Whatever, we have a big tent and an air mattress. Maybe I can tolerate this for 2 weeks.

________________________________
if you're reading this one too, thank you again <3