Chapter 5

I couldn't find her.

The heat of giant bonfire washed over us as we stood around it. It took about ten of us to lit the pile of firewood. I smiled as I watch the blazing fire dance, casting shadows on those around as their eyes lit up with the fire light.

"Reminds me of you."

I felt a wider smile tug at my lips as I glanced at Julian's hulking figure beside me. I caught myself as I stole a glance at him, the blaze of the firelight illuminating his usually brown eyes and making them startling light.

"The hair or the heat?" I teased, hoping that he'll take my growing blush as being flushed from the roaring heat of the fire.

He laughed, his grin turning into a smug as I laughed along with him. However, my laughter died as I finally caught a flash of familiar blonde hair reflecting the light of the flames. I didn't hear Julian's reply, my attention now on Cassie as she weave through the crowd on the opposite end.

She had been avoiding me the whole day, even blocking me off mentally and it hurt. It stung every time she avoided my gaze, leave when I entered the room and put up her mental walls up so violently it almost felt like she had actually shoved me.

It hurt, but it didn't make sense for her to do this. What did I do wrong?

"Eve? Where-"

"Sorry got to go, I'll catch you later!"

I tried to give me my best look of apology but I was barely looking at him as I tried to keep Cassie within my sight. I cursed as I lost her, her small size making it almost impossible to spot as she started to disappear further into the crowd.

It took every thing in me not to do a full out sprint and it frustrated me as I pushed my way past others, the mess of people slowing me down. A sharp growl escaped me as I watch the last of her shiny blonde hair disappear past the tree lines. If she had shifted, I would have lost my chance of finding her. She had too much of a head start, and her being the fastest in our Pack wasn't very helpful now.

Stopping at where she disappeared, I cursed as several scents hit me, reminding me that this area of the forest was a hot spot for mated wolves. Trying to catch her scent among the nauseating scent of arousal from a dozen couples had my head slightly pounding, making me doubt briefly if it was worth venturing in.

Just go, for fuck's sake.

Keeping my breathes as shallow as possible, I had to remind myself to stay deadly silent to allow an unnoticed getaway in an awkward situation. What the hell was she doing in here anyway?

Moans of pleasures carried softly on the night breeze warned me to go in the opposite direction, and for once I didn't know if our sensitive hearing was a good or bad thing.

"I'll kill you!"

I had never felt more relief in hearing Cassie's voice, but the fury in her voice pierced through the soft moans in the distance, and sending my guard up in an instance. I knew she had shifted, her furious snarls almost drowning out a desperate voice that pleaded with her.

Was it a rogue?

I ran, ready to shift and back her up. I steeled myself as I burst into a small clearing, but the sight of Jared sprawled on the ground with Cass snarling manically on top of him was not something I was prepared for.

"What the fuck? What the hell is going on!"

I stared, beyond confused as they ignored me. They grappled, Cass' claws tearing viciously into Jared's torso as he held her back. The ugly metallic smell filled the air, snapping me into action as I sprinted towards them, tackling hard into Cass as my arms wrapped around her neck from behind.