Chapter 2

**Five years later**

"Evie!" I felt a painful tackle from behind as the both of us landed in the sand. Cassie laughed as she laid on me and I tried to spit out sand as I grumbled for her to get off.

"Nice catch Evie." A voice laughed above us and I scowled at Taylor as I pushed Cassie off. He held out his hands to help the both of us up and I brush off the sand stuck to my clothes.

"Yeah, nice catch." Cassie laughed and I smacked her at the back of her head. Her laughed stopped and she scowled at me as I grinned at her. It was times like this that I was grateful that I was much taller.

Her eyes narrowed and the corners of her mouth twitched as if trying to hold her tongue. I knew that look all too well. I sidestepped her second tackle. She crashed into Taylor which sent them both tumbling into the sand.

"Oh for pete's sake, Cass quit being childish!"

"Who are you calling childish, you twig!"

"Who the hell are you calling a twig! Fucking hell, quit punching me! Evie help!"

I shrugged at Taylor, not exactly willing to involve myself in that mess. I look at them and felt a smile tugging at my lips.

I was lucky. Really lucky that it was werewolves that found me. Alpha Caden and his mate, Alyssa of Midnight Pack. They had been newly inaugurated as Alpha and Luna, and had brought me back to their lands, battered and bloodied.

It took a while to recover, and as we got to know each other over time, they started to accept me as a part of their pack. It was hard to accept that at first, but Caden and Alyssa had help me be accepted. Many did not trust me at first but over time, I proved myself worthy to be part of their family.

I wanted to be useful. After my first shift, I decided that the only way I could really start being independent was to learn to fight. I trained really hard. I didn't want to feel powerless ever again. 

I met Talyor and Cassie when we were trainees and once we become closer, they too knew of my story. It was difficult telling them, but I was grateful that they didn't pity me.

I smiled as Cassie's head rest on my shoulders, her breath heavy from their mock fight. She was so small, almost like a doll. If I didn't know her, I wouldn't have guess that she could beat someone as huge as Taylor in a fight. She is as small as she is powerful. Piss her off and you'll be bedridden for the next few weeks.

"You got lucky this time round." Taylor grumbled as he sat beside us. Cassie stuck her tongue out, her tinkling laugh rang out.

"You've got sand in your hair."

I sighed. "Leave it, it's impossible to get it all out in this mess."

"It looks like dandruff." Cassie commented and I grimaced as she picked at my hair.

"Taylor too."

"Don't worry, a little sand can't hide this beauty anyways." He smirked, his brown eyes twinkling with mirth until Cassie threw a handful of sand in his face.

He spluttered and I couldn't help but laugh as he glared at us and spit sand out. When he was finally done, he was about to argue once more when he was interrupted.

"Come home now. There's an urgent matter to deal with."

Caden's voice echoed within our minds and we shared a look of surprise before jumping up and sprinting off in the direction of the pack house.

************

"We're having problems with the hunters. They are becoming bolder and more aggressive. We also have evidence that the hunters are also making alliances...with the rogues." Cadan announced, his eyes and voice hard.