❄11

❄11

Noel's POV

            A fine dust of crystalline ice lines the ground, breaking with a crack every time I take a step.

            Glancing up beside me at Elsa, I look away quickly, her beauty and sheer aura making me feel self-conscious.

            For a while, we don’t say anything to one another, the only sound being our footsteps.

            It was still early morning, the rays of early dawn just barely peeping out from the cracks in the bare trees surrounding us.

            “Do you love him?” Elsa suddenly asks me, tilting her face up to look up at me.

            I stare at her, her abrupt question catching me off guard. “Well, um-I mean, it’s been so little time and-“

            I falter off in my words, the weight of her words sinking down to settle in the pit of my stomach.

            Love.

            Love was a funny thing.

            “I-i-“ I stutter, trying to form my words. How could I tell her how all these weeks went by?

            How do I tell her how much I loved the way Clyde smiled- the cheeky lopsided smirk on his face whenever he knew he was going to win a bet… how could I tell her about how stupid Clyde was in moments- his spontaneity lighting a blaze of fire that I had seemed to forgotten. How could I tell her about how his red hoodie and brazen grin were some of the things I had etched-burned-into the back mind. how his eyes lit up like fragile crystal ice- how he said my name-

            Maybe there would be no way for me to sum up everything I felt for Clyde in words.

            This winter-everything we did- it would forever lie buried deep within the hidden crevices within my heart.

            To speak of it- to try and describe everything I felt- it would be a dismal injustice to Clyde because he was more than just the phrase I had a great time.

            So instead of saying anything, I look at Elsa and smile shyly, hoping that would suffice for her.

            Luckily, Elsa was a smart women-a strong one at that- and she seemed to know exactly what I was feeling and my reluctance to speak of it.

            In response, a big smile grows on her lips, a look of approval shining bright in her azure tinted eyes.

            We walk the rest of the way back to the winter quarters in a comfortable silence, the unspoken understanding resting between us.

            This wasn’t the end- not by a long shot.

            ~*~

            “-Thank you for your stay, you are doing the right thing,” the counsel women sugar coats.

            I don’t even force a polite smile, the sinking feeling in my stomach churning all the while as I shake her outstretched hand.

            It felt like some sick nightmare, being in the counsel room again- surrounded by the people that reminded me why I was leaving.

            The only eyes that I really wanted to see right now though, was Clyde.

            Clyde stands off in a distance, on the side of the counsel, leaving me to face them by myself.