Chapter 4

I hope you all enjoy the new chapter. Thanks for your support. It's always appreciated. :)

* * * * * *

(Anna's POV)

My hands trembling from the nervousness racing through me, I shed my pajamas and dressed in a blouse and jeans. I hated wearing the clothes Alex bought, but pajamas were not the best articles of clothing to have on when you're trying to escape.

I perched on the edge of the bed and put on a pair of socks and shoes. Grabbing the jacket I had laid on the bed, I slipped into it and got to my feet. I took a few deep breaths to try to calm down. Before I could talk myself out of it I left the bedroom and headed downstairs to the foyer.

Once I reached the large foyer I glanced around me for a sign of Alex. When I didn't see him, I crept to the door. My heart pounding in my chest, I slowly unlocked the door and opened it. A loud wailing sound pierced the silence, causing my blood to run cold. I didn't know Alex had an alarm system.

Swearing, I made a run for it. I had a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that I wasn't going to get far, but I knew I had to try. Adrenaline coursing through my veins, I ran for the woods that surrounded the house. I was almost to the treeline when I spotted something out of the corner of my eyes coming toward me. Turning my head, I saw it was a dog.

I stopped dead in my tracks and stared at the animal. It was a German Shepherd. A very big German Shepherd with very sharp teeth. Forcing myself to stay calm, I backed up a few steps. The dog advanced slowly, growling deep in his throat. I swallowed hard. "G-good dog. You d-don't want to b-bite me. You're a g-good-"

"Harry," Alex said coolly. "Sit." Whining, the dog sat. "Stay." The dog froze in place. Alex turned his attention toward me. If looks could kill I would be a dead woman. "Did you honestly think you were going to get away?"

"Honestly, no," I answered, "but I was damn sure going to try."

"Even if you did manage to get away you wouldn't get far," he said. "The nearest town is over seven miles away." He grabbed my arm. "Let's go."

"The alarm system will have alerted the police and-"

"I'm afraid not." Alex smirked. "You see in order for the police to be notified there would have to be a phone line connected to the system. I made sure to disconnect the line. No one is coming, Anna. Now let's go back inside. It looks like rain."

I jerked my arm free of his grasp. "I'm not going back in that house."

"Oh, yes you are." He reached for my arm again. I quickly stepped back. "Anna, don't make me have to force you."

"You do whatever you have to do," I snapped.

Alex shook his head, mumbling something under his breath that I couldn't make out. He offered me his arm. "Since you refuse to go inside would you like to take a walk?"

"What I'd like is to go home," I told him. "How long are you planning to keep me here?"

"For a while," was his response.

I frowned. "How long is a while?"

"I'm thinking a month." Alex shrugged his shoulders. "Maybe two."

Stunned, I gaped at him. He was crazy if he thought I was going to stay with him that long. I pivoted on my heels and gazed at the woods. A longing to hear George's voice swept over me. "When you're done with me will you let me return to George?"

"By the time I'm done you won't want to have anything to do with my brother."

I whirled around to look at him. The expression on his face was one of determination. "That will never happen," I growled. "I love George. Nothing will ever change that."

"We'll see," Alex said softly. "We'll see."

* * * * * *

I stepped into the small sitting room off the bedroom. Like the bedroom the sitting room had robin's egg blue walls, white curtains and carpet. There was a dark blue couch and two floor lamps on one side of the room. On the other side was a large entertainment center. A bookcase filled with books was on the opposite wall.

A lump formed in my throat. It was obvious Alex had gone to a lot of trouble to please me. In some ways he could be kind and considerate.

"I hope everything is to your liking."

I turned slightly and glanced at Alex. He was leaning against the doorjamb with his arms crossed. "You've gone to a lot of trouble." I cleared my throat. "How long did it take to put everything together?"

"A few weeks."

I wandered over to the couch and sat down, tucking my legs under me. "Thank you for going through the trouble to try to make me comfortable."

Alex joined me on the couch. "Contrary to what you might believe, Anna, I do care about you. I always have."

"Then why won't you tell me why you want George to pay?" I asked quietly.

"I told you he took-"

"You told me he took your fiancee from you, but you refuse to tell me anything more." I gazed into his eyes. "Please, Alex, tell me. I need to know."

"You won't believe me." He ran a hand through his hair and exhaled loudly. "Tonight, after dinner. I swear I will tell you then."

I wondered if I could wait that long.