Prologue

All rights reserved. This publication is protected under the US Copyright Act of 1976 and all other applicable international, federal, state and local laws. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without written permission from the author.

Copyright © 2014 by CrystalW99

* * * * *

(Alex's POV)

From my stool at the bar I watched as they danced to the slow song that was playing. The man was my brother George, the woman in his arms was his fiancée Anna. They were planning to get married in a week. At least that's what they and everybody else thought. I had other plans in store for the two love birds. Plans that involved revenge on George. 

I reached for my glass and took a sip of bourbon. My gaze returned to the happy couple just in time to witness George throwing his head back and laughing. Gripping the glass so hard my knuckles turned white, I forced my expression to remain calm. Inside my blood was boiling and my stomach was clenching. He didn't deserve to laugh. He deserved to suffer the way he made me suffer.

I downed the rest of the drink in one gulp, set the glass on the bar, and got to my feet. Carefully I made my way through the sea of dresses and tuxedos. I needed air. Leaving the large ballroom and the party behind, I headed up the long hallway. The sound of my footsteps as they struck the marble floor echoed off the walls. The family mansion was huge and had a cold feeling to it.

A door on my left suddenly opened and a member of the household staff stepped out into the hall. His name was Liam. He had been with my family for over thirty years. Of all the staff he was my favorite. One of the reasons I was fond of him, he shared my hatred of my brother.

"Alex," he muttered, glancing up and down the hallway. "I have the list you asked for."

"Good." He passed the folded piece of paper to me and I slipped it in the pocket of my pants. "I trust you were discreet while getting me the information."

"Of course," he assured me. "I want to see your plan succeed. I would never do anything to put it in jeopardy." He sighed softly. "I just wish we didn't have to bring Anna into this. She's such a sweet little thing."

"I don't want to hurt her either, Liam, but I don't see any other way." I undid my bow-tie. "Think of it this way. We're doing her a favor by tearing her and George apart. She would be better off without him."

"You're right," Liam agreed.

"I've had enough of this circus," I said. "I'm going to get some air."

"Good night, Alex," he told me.

"Night, Liam." I have his arm a squeeze and walked on, the list in my pocket weighing heavily on my mind.