Chapter 2

One week later

The diner was quite busy today. Customers came in and out like a tidal wave. The diner felt more alive and it made me feel more alive. The tiredness I had felt from coming into work after college had swiftly left although it may be because it was drowned by coffee but I'd like to believe it was because of the lively atmosphere. "You need to leave, Amara." May told me as she stood behind the counter giving the customer his change.

"What?" I asked confused as I picked up the coffee pot.

"Don't think I've forgotten that you have an essay due in at the end of the week." May scolded and I chuckled. May was like a mother to me. Jack and her owned the diner, they were like my family.

"This place is so busy today-"

"And we can handle it."

"I promise I'll do my essay right away when I get home after my shift." When I had come out from behind the counter and taken a turn, I bumped into someone and spilled the coffee all over their clothes... well in this case their suit. I gasped, "oh my god I'm so-" I looked up to see the victim of my coffee spill but was left slightly speechless as I saw the same green eyes that I did a week ago. Lucien Salvatore. He was even more gorgeous up close.

"Amara," May softly scolded as she handed me a few napkins and went to the back to get the mop.

I quickly tore away from Lucien's gaze. "I-I'm so sorry. I wasn't looking where I was going." In my nervous state I started to pat and wipe the napkin on his suit in an attempt to dry it. I knew I was clumsy but I didn't realise how much until now. "I-I swear I'll pay for the dry cleaning-" when I glanced up at him I noticed a sly smirk. He was amused by my nervous rambling and apology. "It's not hot is it?" He raised his eyebrow at me. "Uh- the coffee I mean. It didn't burn you?"

He grabbed my wrist in his hand which caught me off guard. I ended up dropping the napkin on the floor. "I'm fine." His voice was so calm and collected which kind of annoyed me. Why did I sound so shaky and nervous?! Before I could respond May's voice snapped me back to reality as she came back to the front with a mop. I quickly pulled my arm back and out of Lucien's grip. May handed me the mop. Lucien's eyes moved from me to May.

"I'm terribly sorry about all of this," May said. "Would you like a drink and a muffin on the house?"

"It's fine." He replied. "Are you May Winchester?" He sounded impatient.

"Yes. Who's asking?"

"My name is Lucien Salvatore." He extended his arm and shook May's hand.

"You own all those properties right? Are you looking to own some in this part of the town?"

"Yes. In fact you're standing on one of my establishments now."

May scoffed, "I'm sorry?"

"By the end of this month The Winchester Diner will cease to exist." I stopped mopping and watched the scene before me in surprise.

"What? How- how is this possible?" May sat on the stool by the counter. I noticed how glassy her brown eyes were.

"Apparently you're late on a few payments."

"Yes but they- they said they're giving us an extended deadline."

"That may have been before I put a large sum of money on the table."

"But this is mine and my husband's business. We built it from scratch. From our sweat and blood. It's practically our second home I-"

"You will need to clear out by the end of this month. I don't want to use any kind of force." How can he say this so calmly? Can he not see how distraught she is?