17. "Enoch and Uzziel"

Mary pressed the front desk button on the phone and it began ringing instantly. Dread continued to well up inside her stomach. Cam answered, "Hello ma'am, this is Cam at the front desk."

Mary knew that Cam speaking formally meant Father Enoch was standing right in front of him in the lobby, "Hey Cam," she replied.

"You have visitors down in the lobby. Shall I send them up?" Cam asked.

"Yes please. Wait...," Mary paused, "visitors... plural?" she asked.

"Yes, a Father Enoch Augustine anndd..."

"My driver," Enoch's voice could be heard over the phone. Mary's mouth fell open.

"Send them both up please Cam," Mary said in a tightening voice. She hung up the phone and turned around to stare at the kids with eyes wide. The expression on her face was tight and you could tell she was using all her might to stop crying as quickly as she could. The kids just stared back at her waiting for the next thing to happen. As soon as Mary had some semblance of composure she said, "He's coming up... with a driver," and she turned and quickly walked out of the kitchen towards the elevator.

The kids jumped up and quickly followed after her.

They walked into the lobby and saw the digital number above the elevator door rising along with the elevator car and the approaching noise. The bell dinged. Mary took a deep breath in through her nose and composed herself. She shook herself slightly trying to loosen up.

The door opened and the always wonderful Enoch stood with a comforting smile, "Maid Marian!" he greeted calling her by the nickname he had affectionately bestowed upon many years ago. He exited the elevator.

Mary stepped forward meeting Enoch in an embrace. She rested her head on the priest's shoulder and closed her eyes in release. She had been reduced from her confident eagerness of wanting to run the school to feeling relief in ridding herself of the responsibility. He could tell she had been crying, and he spoke to her softly, "It's alright now. You're worried. You shouldn't be. I'm here now."

She loved Fr. Enoch Augustine. Everyone did. He was everyone's favorite. He was the nicest most compassionate man she had ever met. His comforting words washed over her. His embrace soothed her immediately calming her emotions.

"This is my driver, Uzziel."

Anxiety hit Mary in the stomach like a baseball bat as her eyes flew open and her vision came back.

There, still in the elevator, stood a tall black man. He wore a full length white clerical style robe with ornate white embroidery. This was the uniform of the drivers as was the stole which hung down from his shoulders also of the very same white color. He had no hair on his head and no expression on his face and had the appearance of a fierce warrior. His arms were crossed behind his back. On his massive chest, over his left breast, was an embroidered image of a hand engulfed in flame.

He strode out of the elevator car at the mention of his name. The elevator doors rapidly closed behind the driver as if they were in his service waiting on him. He was enormous in height and it only took him two long steps to exit the elevator and position himself behind Enoch. Those steps brought him that much closer to Mary and he seemed to almost double in size now that he stood less than a meter behind Enoch.

Enoch released Mary from his hug and grabbed her by the shoulders holding her out in front of him just like a grandparent does to get a better look at their growing grandchild that they haven't seen for a while. Uzziel was literally head and shoulders above Enoch and he starred at Mary over the head of the priest. The driver's expression was not menacing. He actually held no expression. He seemed emotionless. This was almost more intimidating. Mary's was absolutely petrified standing stiff with her mouth agape staring at Uzziel.