4. "The Orphan"

The limousine came to a stop, and Haze looked out the window, “This is our stop Gwen.”  Haze turned to their newest student, “Are you ready for this?”

Gwen nodded.

“Haze, Gwen will assist you with the sacrament of healing and afterwards you two can meet up with us,” instructed Fr. Maven who had regained much of his mobility.  “Gwen?” the priest called the girl’s attention.

“Yes Father?” Gwen answered.

“I want you to be prepared young lady,” he stated open-endedly.  “It is quite possible that after Haze heals Alexandria she will awaken from what is most certainly a horrible state.  This, coupled with the fact that the last thing the young girl might remember is your electrical discharge which put her into that state, doesn’t carry a strong prediction of forgiveness.”  Fr. Maven paused, waiting for Gwen to show she got what he was saying.  She gave no indication, “I want you to be prepared that once Alex awakes she might possibly be very angry and never want to see you again.”

“I know Father.  That’s exactly what I’m expecting.  I’m sure of it,” Gwen responded as she starred at the ground, as was her habit.  

That’s all that the young girl said, and Fr. Maven looked at Haze who in turn opened the limo door letting all the city noises in and stepped out on the busy sidewalk.  Gwen scooted out and stood next to him as he closed the vehicle door.

The group still inside the limo remained silent and looked at Fr. Maven for what was next.  The priest, still sitting a little awkward as he regained his muscle control, reached up, knocked on the window between them and the front seat, and said, “Sisters of Mercy orphanage, right around the corner.”

The limo pulled away and Fr. Maven looked at Peter, “Hell-Proof and I will go gather our next student while you and your sister stay in the limo.”

“I hope that our next student is less difficult to collect father,” commented Peter with little emotion other than seriousness as he bounced Margaret in his arms.

“I hope so too Peter,” Maven agreed.  “I know only a little bit more about him, and once again I know nothing about the gifts he’s been given.”  

He turned to HP, who just stared back at the priest with an expression of dissatisfaction.

“All I know,” Fr. Maven said seemingly in answer to HP’s stare, “is that the young man is an orphan whose parents are both dead, and his name is Bruce.”

“That’s it?” HP asked.

“That’s it,” Father answered.

The limousine took the short trip around the block and pulled up in front of an old cement building that was dwarfed by its neighboring skyscrapers.

HP turned to Fr. Maven and asked, “Can you get up or do you need help?”

Fr. Maven shifted around and sat straight up, “I’m good. Actually, I feel quite able right now,” said the priest as he made a tight fist and then opened his hand wide.  He starred at his palm intently and Peter looked at him with confusion.  

Fr. Maven shook it off, and opened the limo door and got out.  Peter turned to HP who in turned just shrugged, “I dunno.  I don’t ask and he doesn’t tell,” and he exited out of the limo and as he mumbled almost to himself, “but it’s never fucking good.”

Fr. Maven tapped on the driver window and made the ‘circle the block’ signal with his hand.  The sunglassed driver gave a frown of dissatisfaction, and then pulled the car away.

“What the fuck?” HP said in reference to the limo driver’s attitude.

“Whatever,” Fr. Maven responded, “They constantly remind me that they don’t work for me, and they we both work for the same guy.”