Chapter 6

Helga and Lila arrived back at Lila's home, where Helga quickly made her way to Lila's room. By the time Lila had arrive, Helga was already lying in bed, her back to the door. Lila gently closed the door, even though she was sure Helga was not asleep.

"Well...that was ever-so fun," joked Lila. Helga didn't respond; rather, she squeezed herself into a ball on the bed, hugging her legs.

Lila approached the bed. "Helga...what is it? What's wrong? Why won't you look at me?"

"Oh, I don't know..."Helga remarked drily. "Maybe it's because I'm sharing the room with a murderer."

Lila stopped in her tracks. "What did you say?"

Helga turned around to face Lila; Lila could see that her eyes were red and puffy. For the first time, she noticed how visibly shaken Helga appeared after leaving the labyrinth; she had also noticed that, for some reason, Helga was still in her Puella Magi outfit, and her locket was firmly affixed to her chest.

"Helga...what happened in the labyrinth? What did you see?"

"Oh, nothing – just the imminent demise of a young girl that never had a chance. She was turned into the monster that you killed."

Lila said nothing, opting instead to turn and look out the open window. Helga pressed further.

"Is this what you do when you're away? Are those black needle things you use to heal yourself...is that how you get them?!"

Lila gripped the windowsill tightly, as though she were trying to steady herself. "Those black object are called grief seeds...and yes," she turned her head to look at Helga. "In order for me to sustain myself, and to replenish my powers, I have to defeat witches. And those witches used to be Puella Magi, before they let themselves fall into despair after having their wish granted by Kyuubey."

Helga sat up, indignant. "And you're OKAY with this?"

"Of course not."

"Yet you still do it?"

"Well, what choice do I have?" snapped Lila. "I know it's a horrible thing, but if I don't fight the witches, then I can't heal myself, and then I'm the one who dies alone in one of those nightmarish labyrinths."

Helga shuddered. "I knew that girl. She gave the opening monologue at our school play....I can't believe you let me touch those things."

"I was just trying to protect you," reasoned Lila. "When I saw that you made a wish, I knew what that meant. You'd have to fight witches to survive...I couldn't bear to imagine you getting lost in one of those labyrinths, or worse, getting hurt..."

Lila closed the distance between the two of them and clasped Helga's hand. "So I did what I thought was right. I'd fight so you wouldn't have to. I would risk my life for you."

Helga was nonplussed. "Why?"

Lila moved in further so that their faces were mere inches apart. "Because...I love you, Helga."

Helga shook her hands free from Lila's and scooted away from her so that her back was against the wall. "What?! Are you crazy?! You can't love me! I love Arnold! I mean..."

As she spoke, she began to get flustered and turn red. Simultaneously, the locket of Arnold that was still attached to her chest began to throb and glow red. Helga gripped the locket and buckled over.

"What's happening to me...?" she groaned.

FASCINATING.

All eyes turned to the doorway, where Kyuubey had appeared.

"What are you doing here?" asked Lila.

I CAME TO SEE FOR MYSELF IF IT WAS TRUE – AND INDEED IT IS. YOU ARE STILL ALIVE.

"What are you talking about?"

Kyuubey flicked its tail. YOU DO NOT REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED?

"Helga..." Lila said carefully. "I watched that other magical girl destroy your soul gem. You should have died. I don't know what happened back there in that labyrinth...but somehow you came back to life."

I HAVE A THEORY. HELGA, YOU HAD WISHED TO HAVE THE POWER TO MAKE SOMEONE LOVE YOU, CORRECT? AS I AM TO UNDERSTAND, YOU HAVE NOT SEEN YOUR WISH TO FRUITION. AS SUCH, THE CONTRACT FORMED COULD NOT BE SATISFIED. UNTIL HELGA'S WISH IS GRANTED, SHE CANNOT FULLY RELINQUISH POSSESSION OF HER SOUL. TRULY FASCINATING. SHE IS TRULY...QUITE THE ANOMALY.

Helga buried her head in her hands. "This is so fucked up...no, stay back!" Helga leapt off the bed to get away from Lila. Her knees nearly buckled from the exertion but she remained standing.

"Helga, please," Lila pleaded. "Don't do this. Let me help you. I'll protect you."

"No. I've got to get out of here. I've stayed here long enough."

"Where will you go?"

"That's for me to know and you to find out."

"Helga..."

"I said BACK OFF!"

Lila went for Helga's shoulder, which caused Helga to react by knocking away her hand. When she did, a ribbon from her costume whipped itself at Lila, knocking her with so much force that she found herself splayed out upon the bed. Helga covered her mouth with her hands, both shocked and horribly confused. Rather than check to see if Lila was okay, she quickly made her way to the open window.

"I'm sorry, Lila....I....I'm just so sorry...."

She exited through the window.