Chapter 14

Cordelia was pleased at her newfound ability to play the Moonlight Sonata all the way through without errors. It was a delight to use her mother’s pianoforte once again, and Cordelia had found that the sombre mood that had once plagued Green Boughs during her childhood was now bright and hopeful thanks to Andrew, Kitty and the children.

She had found peace while staying with them; more than that. Cordelia found, for the first time in her lonely life, that she truly had friends and family. Her own father had never cared for her, her stepmother viewed her as a burden, and though Lotte had been friendly enough, looking back at her past afforded Cordelia a clearer view of their relationship. Lotte had no problem allowing Cordelia to fill the role of “Winter Rose” and never trying to improve her situation. Lotte had been content for Cordelia to live a quiet and sad life, and did not think of her step-sister’s safety during her whirlwind courtship to a man whose reputation was abominable.

These thoughts should have filled Cordelia with anger, but instead she was relieved. It was through her friendship with Andrew and Kitty that she began to realize that she was worthy of being loved. These two people, virtual strangers to her, had taken her in during a time of grave need, and put their own reputation into danger in order to keep her safe.

With Kitty she held long conversations, honest and often probing ones, speaking about her loneliness, her mother’s passing and the sadness of her childhood. And in turn, Kitty spoke of her fears that she was truly meant to be a spinster and would never find love and her own family. Kitty did feel the deepest affection for her niece and nephew, but felt it could not compare to having a family of one’s own. Though she was past the marriageable age, she believed that she could still find a family of her own, perhaps with a widower in a similar situation to her brother, or if she went to India, and she wanted a bit of freedom, but was hesitant to leave Andrew alone with the children.

“He was lost along with Priscilla.” Kitty frowned. “He feigned happiness, all smiles and kindness for the children’s sake, but he did not have the vigor for life, the sparkle in his eye that was once there had gone. In fact, I think it has returned because of your company. Your presence has done us much good.” At those words, Kitty put her hands on Cordelia’s.

Kitty’s words rang true to Cordelia. She had begun to feel something, a growing feeling of deep affection for Kitty, the children, and also for Andrew. He was, in essence, a true gentleman, and almost the exact opposite to Edward’s personality. Andrew was honest, almost to a fault, kind and tenderhearted, but strong and resolute in his own way as well. He had no darkness in him, no cynicism or bitterness. Although he had suffered a great loss and sadness at the loss of beloved wife, Andrew had not turned to drink and women to drown his sorrows. Instead, he soldiered on, and devoted his love and energy to his children.

Cordelia was amazed by the amount of love that Andrew had for his children. When the children both came down with a terrible cold, she saw him fret and sit by their side, until Kitty finally relieved him, and Cordelia came to his study to bring him some refreshments. She sat and silently watched him, shuffling papers around at his desk. It was obvious that he had business to attend to, but he was distracted and concerned about the well being of his beloved son and daughter.  It was this sight of paternal affection that caused Cordelia to cry, and, for the first time since she had been discovered on the grounds of Green Boughs and sought refuge there, she spoke of Edward.

“Are you quite alright, Cordelia? Is there anything I can do to aid you?”

These kind words from Andrew relaxed Cordelia. She sat up straight and placed her hands on her abdomen. “It is just thinking of this poor creature, who will likely never know a father’s love such as your children do.”

Andrew smiled and held her hand firmly in his own. “He or she shall more than suffice with the oceans of affection that you will provide.”

“I know that, Andrew. I just think back to my own relationship with my father, and I did not want that for my own child. Who would have thought that just one night could leave me in this situation. But I shall not have any regrets. I will love this child with all that I have. It is just that I wonder if it is wrong for me to conceal the child from Edward’s knowledge.”

Andrew waited for a minute, taking time to ponder his answer, and took a deep breath before beginning. “You have not spoken of exactly what brought you to our door. But the manner of your arrival as well as your reaction to any mention of his name has led me to believe that he has acted in a most villainous and unforgivable manner.”

Cordelia nodded. “I cannot bear to think of it, let alone speak of it.”

“Yet there is some hesitation on your part. Do you believe that perhaps you are mistaken? Or that Edward’s behavior could change?”

“I will admit that the bearer of some of the information was not exactly the most reliable person.” Cordelia had to admit now that Violet’s behavior and reasons for imparting the information that she did to her was suspect. “However, I have experienced first hand what it is to be used by the Duke. He is a confounding enigma, a very spectre of a soul. I do not feel that I would be safe in his possession, however, I dread keeping my child away from their father.”

“I could go to town.” Andrew squeezed her hand a bit tighter. “I could make some enquiries for you, and see what I can suss out about this Duke of yours.”

Cordelia smiled at Andrew. His kindness truly knew no bounds. She let Andrew know that she would appreciate any help or counsel he could offer her. Andrew determined that he would set out for the town as soon as possible and visit some old contacts who could help him in his quest for information. He stood and went to leave, but abruptly turned around and went back to Cordelia bending down on one knee and taking her hand in his, putting his lips to her palm.

“Your child will know a father’s love, Cordelia.” Andrew’s husky tone of voice sent a shiver down Cordelia’s spine. “I can promise you that with certainty.”

Cordelia felt her heart begin to flutter. The moment was broken when Kitty came into the room, proclaiming that the children were finally abed and peacefully so, and that Andrew should get some rest himself. Andrew left the women alone, and Kitty sat next to Cordelia, taking her hand and resting her head against her shoulder.

“I can’t believe that my brother was such a fool that he did not take an opportunity to kiss you.”

Cordelia gasped. “And I am grateful that he did not, because I am a married woman.”

“Barely.” Kitty conceded. “And to a Beast of a Man. That should not count.”

“Well it does.” Cordelia sadly admitted. “In the eyes of God and the Law, and Andrew was right to resist the temptation.”

“I suppose so.” Kitty seemed unsure of this statement. “But I believe that love will find a way, despite whatever burdens or obstacles may appear. And there is no wrong in true love.”

Cordelia smiled at her friend. Kitty, whose experiences were even less than Cordelia’s limited ones, still had a very romantic view of love.

“Well,” said Kitty. “Is it true that you only spent one night with the Duke?”

Cordelia gasped again, and gave her friend a shocked look. The woman sat in silence until they both erupted in a fit of giggles. Cordelia was surprised that she could look at her hopeless situation and still feel a semblance of hope. It was Andrew’s words that bolstered her. The sincerity and truth in his eyes as he proclaimed that he would love her child as a father gave her hope. If there was any man, a man with a good heart and enough love to share with a child born of another father, it was Andrew who could fulfil this role. Cordelia was certain of this, and she felt a warmth in her heart and a gratitude that she had wound up here of all places. The childhood house that had never seemed like a welcoming home was finally a real home to her.

A week passed without word from Andrew, who had set out to town once the children seemed better. The rain was a never ending, torrential downpour, and Cordelia found that she was often very tired. On one particularly gloomy afternoon, she went to the library and sat in the window seat, drawing the curtains around her to hide away for a bit from Kitty and the children, who seemed to be out of sorts lately because of the terrible weather, with a volume of sermons that had her asleep in a few minutes.

She awoke at the sound of her own name. There were two voices, Andrew’s and Kitty’s and they spoke at a volume that meant they did not realize that Cordelia was in the library. She had been concealed by the curtains. Cordelia’s first instinct was to open the curtains and let her presence be known, but the sound of her own name being spoken caused her to keep quiet and stay hidden. Her curiosity got the best of her.

“This does concern Cordelia. It concerns her life, her happiness, her future.” Andrew’s voice was calm, yet authoritative.

“I do not see that in this at all!” Kitty’s voice was much higher, and Cordelia surmised that the siblings were arguing, and the matter pertained to her.

“I showed you the passages that give proof to what the truth truly is. How can you say this does not concern her?”

“Who is to say that any of this is true!” Kitty’s voice had become a screech of indignation.

“It is considered to be matter of fact among the ton. There are several witness who corroborated the statements here.” Andrew remained calm.

“It is a work of fiction,” Kitty sniffed. “As far as I am concerned this changes nothing.”

“What are you suggesting, Kitty?” Andrew had grown exasperated, and it was obvious in his tone. “I cannot keep the truth from her.”

“It is not the truth.” Kitty pressed on. “There is no absolute proof here, just fantasy and why upset everyone’s lives over this? Cordelia has found happiness here with you. And you cannot tell me that you do not care for her. I have seen your affection for her and I can promise you that hers grows for you more everyday she spends here.”

“We cannot be together. There are many impediments to our happiness.”

“Society be damned.” Kitty’s voice reached a high pitch once again. “You could find a way with her, to be happy.”

“I could never conceal the truth from her. I care for her too much to do so.”

Cordelia swung the curtain open and revealed herself. She walked up to Andrew, and put her arm through his, reaching up on a tip-toe to offer him a kiss on the cheek. “Thank you, Andrew, for showing me true kindness and affection.” At those words, she gave Kitty a withering look. “What truth is it that you have to show me?”

Andrew reached his arm out to Kitty, who reluctantly handed him a thin leather-bound volume before stalking off in anger. He held the book out to Cordelia, and she took it, smiling at Andrew, before walking to her room, sitting upon her bed and opening the volume. She read the first line aloud.

“These are the true confessions of Miss Mary Hightower, a lady.”