Chapter 5

Lord John Addison was a well-respected member of the ton. He was a tall, handsome man, of slender yet athletic build, with sandy colored blonde hair and mustache. He had been a bachelor since the death of his beloved fiancee Mary Hightower, a gesture which rendered him tragic and sympathetic simultaneously in the eyes of women everywhere. He had, however, maintained his close friendship with Mary’s brother Daniel, and it was purported that the gentlemen spent their time together reminiscing about their beloved Mary. If the ton actually knew why these men were so bound to each other, the scandal would be immense. Lord Addison, however, in his languid and quiet nature seemed to deflect any tinge of impropriety.

There had been that matter of John’s sister and the Duke of Marlborough. She had been badly used by the rake, but the whole sordid affair had been hushed up by marrying the lady off to an Italian count. It was supposed, however, among the ton, that Lord Addison considered the Duke of Marlborough to be his most grave enemy, and that the scar that the Duke of Marlborough had on his right cheek had been given to him by Lord Addison, a rumor which only served to raise Lord Addison in the estimation of his peers.

It would surprise society if they saw the tall, dark sinister villian visit Lord Addison’s estate. Lord Addison’s housekeeper, Mrs. Dunham, however, was pleasantly surprised at Edward’s visit, and quickly set about gathering tea and of course, the chocolate biscuits, which were Edward’s particular favorite. Lord Addison himself was also pleasantly surprised at his friend’s visit.

“Edward!” Lord Addison stood to give his friend a hug. “It has been quite a while,. These clandestine visits are lovely, but you really should give me more warning.”

“John.” Edward nodded and took a seat. “How is Daniel?”

“With his mother. The poor woman is trying to foist some 16-year-old bride on him. A lovely girl, all smiles and simpering in public and rubbing herself all over him like a cat in heat whenever they are left alone. The poor child will be quite put out at the end of things.”

Edward laughed and reached for a chocolate biscuit. He had known both John and Daniel and about their relationship for years, and had accepted them mostly because he felt a connection to their never being able to show their true faces to society, much like himself. Edward and John were tied together after the chaos surrounding Violet, John’s sister, and despite appearances to the contrary, they considered each other to be true friends.

“Enough about me.” John sat down and looked at Edward expectantly. “What is all this I hear about you getting married?”

“It has reached this far?” Edward put down his biscuit and took a sip of tea.

“I make it a priority to keep ears and eyes in London.”

“I fear I may have been particularly impetuous this time, John.” Edward’s eyes gave a piercing glance that quieted John’s burst of laughter at his friend’s admission of guilt.

“I have warned you many times before that wearing the mask you could lose yourself.”

“I am my father’s son.” Edward sighed. “Perhaps the role was thrust upon me, but that does not mean that I do not fill it completely. But I have perhaps rushed into the destruction of this girl with out any knowledge of the particulars.”

“The particulars are not exactly a secret amongst the ton. You would be privy to them if you moved more in the circles of society, but I fear that is quite beyond you. The girl’s mother was ill treated by her father, and upon her tragic death, the girl was also neglected by the father and the step-mother in turn. Perhaps she had a reputation for being haughty, but that was most likely spread about by the step-mother herself.”

“And now...” Edward paused, leaning forward as if grasping for the words from his friends mouth.

“Her reputation is not salvageable. The night that you indulged that idiot Rivers, word spread that the father had offered the daughter to the highest bidder. Her ruination is a matter of fact among the ton.”

“So I must marry her, then.”

“If you do not, she will have no future. If you do, her future is still troubled, but her reputation could be salvageable. Half the ton suppose that she is a wicked seductress and enchantress, and that she has bewitched you into marriage and that the two of you will carry on the Dark Lord’s work together. The other half...they see her as some redeeming angel who has enchanted you with her goodness and purity. They view it as some sort of romantic union that will lead to your salvation.”

The Duke laughed bitterly. “I know what I must do.” He stood as if to leave, offering his friend his hand. John walked him to the door, and before the Duke could leave, he whispered in a solemn voice.

“Any news of Jamie?”

The duke shook his head as he walked out the door and left.