Chapter Three

The first thing that hit my bleary mind was the smell.

Disinfectant seemed to be the most prominent smell, overshadowing all else. My eyes were too tired and heavy to open, and although I knew I was potentially in fatal danger, my mind didn’t seem to care. I didn’t care, just as long as I got to lay here and rest. I wondered where I was lying. The surface beneath me seemed to be hard yet comfortable. I never wanted to get up.

But as the minutes passed and my mind became clearer, my coolness at the whole situation slipped away to be replaced by silent hysteria. I found myself able to half open my eyes, but the lights of the room were so blinding, I shut them before I could focus on anything. I wondered if I was alone, or if the room was full of people, staring at me; waiting for me to wake up so they could fulfil their torture against me. Was I dreaming? Why was I thinking such thoughts of torture, as if I’d been abducted-

At that second, my mind snapped back to my last memory. Black suits, carefully concealed guns which had made my one look like a joke, Bluetooth, Jones..

I forced my eyes open, ignoring the stinging as my tired, weak eyes tried to focus through the whiteness of the room. As my vision became stronger, I noticed that everything was white. I was in a room with cupboards and a plastic looking desk and chair. I seemed to be lying on a bed that had white sheets with no crinkles on them. This room reminded me strongly of a hospital room but slightly more exaggerated.

This confused me. Why would they be trying to help me, if this was indeed a hospital room? Wasn’t it their intention to kill me? Why else would they have taken me from that dirty hotel room? But why would they have stopped me from killing myself? So they can make your death longer, slower, and a lot more painful.

This thought scared me beyond belief and I jerked forward in the bed, my eyes wide. I had to get out of here. The sheets covering me were tight, almost confining me to the bed, but I managed to sit up. I noticed then that there was a needle injected into my arm, feeding my some colourless liquid. I didn’t hesitate in ripping it from my arm. I didn’t have one ounce of trust for these people, and that liquid could be eating and eroding my insides for all I knew. That seemed to be the only apparatus in the room that had any medical quality to it, making my suspicions that this was a hospital fade away.

Seconds after the needle had left my arm and dropped to the ground beside my bed, a loud alarm sounded through the room. Crap. Throwing the bedclothes off of me, I unsteadily jumped from the bed, feeling weakness take over my limbs. But I knew I had to fight through it. I had to get out of here. This definitely wasn’t a hospital.

I looked down to see that I was wearing a plain white nightdress. I looked at the back of it quickly to make sure it covered everything. It thankfully did. I didn’t have time to change.

I went to the room door and flung it open, not bothering to be quiet or subtle about it since the alarm that seemed to be also screeching through the hallways would have already notified my captures about my plans to escape.

That meant I had little or no time. The corridors were strikingly white too and I found myself at a crossroads. Left or right? I racked my brains, trying to get some answers. Left of right?

Noah was left-handed.

Pushing past the weakness, I ran as fast as I could to the left, praying that it led me to an exit. As I rounded a corner, the hallways looked surprisingly empty and quiet. Was it possible that my captures had forgotten about me? This thought seemed unlikely yet the hope was already pulsating through my body.

I rounded another corner and saw big double doors at the end of the hall. They had small squares of glass in the middle of them, showing me the street outside. This was my way out. I even managed to smile as I raced frantically to the doors, half expecting them to be locked. I gasped quietly when they opened without a hitch and without looking back, ran out onto the street.