Weekend (6)

Sorry for the long wait but I hope it was worth it.  Votes and comments are always appreciated, Kli

Anja rolled over in bed and marveled at how comfortable she was.  Blearily, she opened her eyes to see Kristin precariously close to falling off her bed but solidly asleep. Still only half- awake, she reflected on the week.  School, the learning part of it, hadn't been too much harder than where she had been going before she moved.  With the help of Michelle, the lessons were clear and simple, perhaps even easier than where she had been before.  The hard part was the breaks between classes, such as lunch.  While it was perfectly acceptable to hang out with Kristin, it felt odd to do so.  Undoubtedly, the worst part was being away from her friends for so long.

As she was pondering the week, Bruno burst into the room, swinging the door open hard enough for it bounce back at him from the wall.  Kristin was surprised, so surprised, in fact, that her body contracted, depositing her solidly on the floor.

Bruno only had an instant to laugh before she was on her feet, awake far quicker than Anja would ever be able to.  In the blink of an eye, Kristin was chasing Bruno out of the room.  He ran around the corner and down the stairs, presumably to hide behind his mother.

Stretching, Anja groped about her nightstand to find her phone.  One new message: David.  good morning lovely.  

Quickly, she typed back.  good morning to you.  Miss you.

Phone still in hand, she shuffled out of her room and down the hall.  Bruno was still antagonizing Kristin but Anja ignored them.  Covering a yawn with her hand, she rested her face on her hand. 

Raina gently tapped her on the shoulder.  We're thinking of having a BBQ* this weekend with the neighbors, she said, signing extra slow so Anja, still dreary with sleep, could follow.  Behind her, Kristin resumed chasing her little brother.

Why? Anja retorted, pushing a lock of hair that had escaped her braid behind her ear.

To meet everyone, Raina replied smoothly, as if she had seen the arguement coming.  Bruno has been playing with a few of the boys on the street.  I thought this would be a good way to meet their parents.

Anja crossed her arms and leaned back in the chair, still opposed to the idea.  Why are you telling me?  I know I have no other option.

Raina smiled.  You're smart.  If you want to invite someone from school, you can.

Anja thought for a minute.  Only people from the Deaf school. she answered reluctantly.

If you think of anyone else, just let me know. She said, before giving her daughter a pat on the back and leaving.  Anja flipped her phone over twice then stood up and began to make breakfast.  Even when she came back to the table, there was no response to her message.  She shrugged; David had never been a morning person.

Did you like Yvonne? Kristin asked, plunking down next to her sister with a half frozen waffle in her hand.

Why?

I wanted to ask her over for the BBQ.

Why ask me?

Kristin broke eye contact, looking at the pale brown of her round kitchen table.  If you like her I'd have her come over.  She tapped the table with her fingers in thought.  Or if you asked someone to come over I'd ask her too.

 Anja brought her palm down on the table, causing Kristin's head to snap up.  I don't care.  Finally, the phone shook, shooting light and wiggling along the table.