First Day--English Grammar (3)

Before anyone gets worked up, this is exactly the same as the last chapter.  However, ASL grammar can be confusing so this one has normal grammar.  I kinda threw that last chapter in for my own fun but I will continue to write the rest of the chapters in English grammar.  Enjoy! Abschied, Kli

It was the Saturday before school started.  Anja was nervous almost to the point of inability to focus on other things.  Bruno was nonplussed; for him it was the same as ever.  He was unhappily packing his bags all day for moving back to his school.  This time, instead of a ten-minute ride it would be closer to two hours to get there.  The move that had crossed state lines was just barely close enough to keep him in the same school.

Are you coming? Raina asked her two daughters.  Ten minutes from now, I'm leaving.

Are we stopping at my school too? Anja asked.

Maybe, I need to think about it. Raina answered, having already expected the request since before she had asked. Kristin?

If Anja doesn't go, I will.

Why can't I go with you? Anja demanded, turning away from her mother to face Kristin more directly.

I'll go if you don't want to so I can keep Mom company Kristin answered quickly.

I'm staying to get ready for school, Anja decided.

True to her word, Raina was packing up the car with Bruno's school supplies and clothes when her husband came out.  He was wearing a pair of green shorts and a black t-shirt.  The interpreter called.  Where is Anja?  Behind him, Bruno was dragging a suitcase that was full of clothing and a few video games he had managed to sneak in while his mother was looking away.

Upstairs, her room.  Raina answered, leaning against Bruno's other suitcase in an attempt to push it farther into her minivan. Where's Kristin?

Living room, want me tell her to come here? he asked, ready to grab Anja from her room.

Yes, please, she said.  Moments later, Kristin was standing outside the car in a tank top and shorts, her brown hair in a quick ponytail. 

Are you coming?

Yeah, Kristin said, a nod of her head to emphasize.

The ride was long and boring, taking close to an hour each way.  Bruno looked out the window as though condemned even though he was excited to see his friends after the summer break.  Most of the children in his school, an all Deaf academy, had been in attendance since they began school or soon after.  By now, the start of  fifth grade, there were few students that had not been in a residential school before. 

When they arrived at the school, Bruno refused any help to carry his belongings upstairs to his room for the week.  Despite his denial, Raina tugged a large suitcase behind her until she reached his room.  Already, two boys had set up and the third was in the process.

Bruno! the other boy signed.  If he had been hearing, his voice would have been echoing off the walls.  Instead, his hands began to fly as though they were controlled by someone else.  I'm surprised you made it, you're almost late!  Was summer break fun? I visited aunt who lives in Texas.  The sheer speed at which his hands moved did not look like they could have come from a child at all.

Slow! Bruno commanded, laughing, I'm not late, I have two more days.  School isn't starting now.  Summer break was so-so.  Mom and Dad moved! Was Texas fun?