Chapter Seven - a suggestion- that can only end in tragedy

Chapter seven.

A suggestion - that can only end in tragedy

The next few days pass in a blur. But it's official. Steve and I are officially going out. We sit together ad exchange tips every single day in music classes. We get on soo well. Not only are we now a couple but I reckon we are now one hundred per cent best friends! And... I know it's a bit soon to say it but... but I think I love him. He really is the one.

We sit together at mealtimes too. But then there was that Monday. The Monday when everything changed.

It was a Sunday and we had now been at Alphnote for a week and three days. There was only to be four days before we were to be separated and we were trying to make the most of the little time we had left.

We were having diner together that evening when Steve says,

"Hey, you and I should do something together. You know, before we go our separate ways."

"Like what?" I ask, confused, "All there is to do around here is play music. But what's wrong with that?"

"Well,"says Steve, "There are always other people around and we can never do anything where it's just the two of us. I want us to do something special together."

"So?" I ask, "What did you have in mind?"

"Well," says Steve slowly,"There's that mountain. It looks quite easy to climb. We could sneak a picnic and hike up the mountain. We could skive of music lessons for the day. No one would know we were gone."

I suddenly feel a rush of daring ambition take over me. I suddenly decide that I'm not going to care if we get caught. I've always been sad "stick to the rules" Hannah. Bu now I feel daring and ambitious. I feel a swooping sensation rush through my blood.

"OK." I say after a moment of thought, "Why not?"

Steve grins, clearly glad that I'm not a sad goody goody.

"Alright!" he says.

But looking back on it now. I wish I'd said no.

*

We've just had breakfast. I'm supposed to be gathering up my music ready for the first tutorial of the day. But instead I'm sneaking out the back exit, ready to meet Steve.

I run round the building, past the wheelie bins and the rats and round to the front of the main building.

Steve's there, sat on a log. The log where the two of us first kissed.

Steve's carrying a picnic basket. I grin. The food smells delicious, even from this distance.

"Hey," I call, but not to loud for fear of being overheard, "You ready?"

"Yep!" he calls back as I approach, "Let's go!"

He gives me a quick kiss on my cheek and we walk of in the direction of the mountain, hand in hand...

*

The mountain's not that high, thank goodness. I t was exhausting enough, the size it was. And the size of me. However about halfway up the mountain, we were quite high and it is quite clear that we (Steve especially) would never make it to the top.

"Shall we stop here?" I ask, reading his thoughts.

"Yeah," Steve puffs, clearly grateful for my suggestion, "I'm starving!"