Watching

~~Talan~~
Saying my goodbyes to my parents and siblings I headed to the location I would spend the next two weeks. As an overseer of the border it was our responsibility to make sure no unwanted guests wander into our lands. There are two of us at each checkpoint at all times. Sometimes more if a threat is expected.

Meeting up with my partner for this time around we made sure our orders were the usual then made our way to the assigned checkpoint.

Halfway there  we received a message of a woman wandering around the forest. That was very unusual, the tales of the forest are meant to keep people out. This woman must be crazy to venture into the unknown.

Changing our route to meet up with the one that contacted us my mind wandered back to the dream I had last night. I was following this person in red. They started panicking and walking faster then trapping themselves between a tree and me. When they turned I met the most amazing green eyes and beautiful face. Snapping back to reality I realized we found the other overseer.

"It's true, the woman was not far from the southeast checkpoint. I followed her until she tripped. She was funny and didn't even freak out when she saw me."

"What! Why didn't you bring her in?" I asked shocked.

"It's not like she's going to get out of the forest. She circled around the same spot several times before she found a different path. She's headed in your direction so you can deal with her." With that he left us to run his patrol.

"How do you want to handle this?" I was asked while we made our way to the checkpoint.

I thought for a minute before answering, "I guess she needs to be brought in. The laws are very specific about intruders."

Minutes later the checkpoint came into view. Lights shone brightly through the front windows. "She's one brave girl."

Since she didn't seem to care about breaking in we didn't bother to sneak up on her. We just walked right up to the porch. "You keep her restrained and I will run the rest of the border then we can call for someone to come get her."

"Sounds good. I ..," he stopped mid sentence when the noises from around the side of house got louder. We weren't expecting anyone so we both immediately shifted and raced toward the sounds.

<><><><><><><><><><>

That was weird. Something must have distracted them but I sure wasn't sticking around. I had ran back toward the forest when I felt uneasy.

Looking behind me I thought I saw eyes in the bushes. I froze. The house wasn't that far, I'm sure I could make it before that thing could catch me. Slowly turning around I casually walked toward the porch. After just a few steps I heard branches breaking and loud growls. That's all it took for me to take off in a full sprint.

Right when I thought I was safe a large animal appeared in front of the porch. Skidding to a stop I eyed the door, my route to safety was now blocked. Looking at the huge animal I realized it was wolf. Bigger than the one from earlier and much meaner. His teeth looked very sharp when he snarled at me.

All the sudden two more wolves joined us.  One running into the side of the mean one, knocking it over. The other snapped at his legs.

Finding my opportunity to get to the door I ran up the steps, yanked the door open and ran straight into a warm body.

Arms wrapped around me tightly. "I couldn't believe it when I smelled you out on the porch. I had finally found you then those filthy rouges appeared. I wasn't going to let them get to you."

I was utterly confused. "Please let me go."

"Never." Was he reply as he tightened his hold and rested his chin in my head. "I will keep you safe."

"Safe from who? There's no one here but you. If you hug me any tighter I won't be able to breath."

Immediately his hold relaxed and I jerked back landing on my butt outside on the porch. Snarling brought my attention back to the Scene outside. I jumped up and the mysterious man was by side instantly. "Get back inside until we can contain them."

"We who? There's no one else here and I'm fine right here."

He was already down the stairs and heading toward the fighting. "Even though I think your a creepy, disturbed individual I think you should come back up here until they are gone. All those teeth and claws will cause great damage to your body."

"Nonsense, they won't harm me." He looked at the good wolves and stared for a few seconds, blank looks appeared on all their faces. Then they just stopped and backed up. The mean one was laying on the ground, bloody and panting heavily.

I started to walk toward them but right before I reached the man the two wolves changed.

Changed from wolves to men, like in that book I was reading. Werewolves! I saw spots  then nothing. I felt my legs give then darkness took over.

:::::::::::::
😀