chapter one

"Remind me again, what are your pronouns?"

"Oh, she/her or they/them."

"Got it."

Leia's fiery orange curls swayed as she walked around the room scribbling down everyone's names and pronouns on her sleek, wooden clipboard. I watched as she politely waited and nodded to everyone's unique answer. Of course there were people with pronouns the same as others, but Leia made it feel like they were unique to you, and your own.

This was one of the first clubs I had been drawn to at orientation last week, and I'd hope it would make me feel a bit at home, while still having to be at school.

Even though there were 3-5 other ''owners'' of the 'LGBTQ + ALLIES' club, Leia had happened to be the one at the desk 7 days ago whom described it to me. I hadn't met anyone else in the club besides her in my first week as a freshman, which seemed right sense most of my grade acted slightly homophobic throughout middle school.

This, being the first meeting, I assume I'll know the other creators of the club, besides Leia, soon. Plus, hopefully, some other kids like me.

After about 5-10 minutes of everyone privately introducing themselves to Leia, she picked picked up the wireless microphone and strut to the centre of the room.

"Alright, I'd like to give a big warm welcome to you all! I'm not going to try and be like all the other clubs or classes you have, but I just want to give a quick summary of what this club is for!"

Leia took a brief pause before continuing.

"This is for anyone and anyone who's felt left out, different, judged, and plain out bad about their sexuality, their identity, and themselves. It's mainly just a place to let everything out and talk about whatever is going on in your life to similar people who can relate more than most douchey, straight high schoolers we know. We've made sure theres no one in this club who just joined to be a bully, so this is a secure safe space-- ok 'safe space' sounds kinda childish but, it is one. "

A few chuckles could be heard around the room caused by Leia's comforting humour. I myself was even starting to warm up to her, and trust her.

"So, without further ado, let me introduce myself and the other founders of the 'LGBTQ + ALLIES' club!"

A round of applause let out as four others joined Leia's side in the centre of the room.

Leia started off the introductions.

"Hi, I'm Leia, as many of you already know. I prefer the pronouns she/her, I'm lesbian/gay. By the way, we'll be keeping the introductions pretty short so there's time to meet all of you."

Handing the mic down the line, next was a petite boy with slick, combed back hair. He softly spoke into the mic saying his name was Brian, and that he was transgender and gay. I smiled a bit at this, probably because it brought me joy that there was a transgender male who didn't necessarily look extremely masculine.

The other two were both girls. One was pansexual, and the other was completely straight and cisgender. The pansexual one was a brunette named Izzy, and the straight/cisgender girl went by Miia.

I hate to admit it, but I slightly zoned out during the introductions. It was most likely because I hadn't heard anyone who was asexual, demisexual, or grey-asexual, like myself, but, eh there's probably someone.

After the founder's introductions, Izzy transitioned us into the last 30 minutes of the club which was for letting us talk with each other in a sort of 'therapy circle' type of way. Everyone pulled up a chair and we all went around saying our names and sexuality and a tiny bit about ourselves, only if we wanted to talk.

After about 10 students had said some of their hobbies, names, and pronouns, along with a few in between who decided to just say their name, it was my turn.

"My name's Joe, I like browsing the internet and playing with dogs, I prefer the pronouns she/her or they/them, and I'm pansexual and asexual."

"Ah, that's right, Joe, the no sex no relationship stuff." Leia said from across the circle.

A frown tugged at my face for a quick second before muttering

"Ah.. yep."

The rest of the introductions continued, but, quiet rudely of me, I payed no attention to them.

'The no sex no relationship stuff.' Yeah I guess, but like, well, you could've said something a bit less identify-y, I guess.

I don't really know why i felt slightly betrayed, but I guess I had expected there to be a few more ace people, or at least not to be identified as the 'no sex no relationship' one.

After about 5 more kids, the bell rang for the end of the day, and we all started heading out the door. I was overall content that I had joined the club, and thought it had generally went pretty well. With the past ups and downs in my regular schedule from earlier that morning, I was glad I had ended my day on a good note. Or, mostly determined to not let a little thing like what Leia said bring me down again.

I lifted my army-green Kanken Fjallraven bag off the white and grey-speckled tile floor swinging it over my shoulders putting both arms through.

Don't wanna have bad posture, I jokingly thought to myself.

Half way down the hallway, right as I was popping in my Apple™ earbuds in, I overhear a few sentences;

"I can't believe she don't want to be in love, let alone have.. no sex.. ever. Haha, sorry that's just wild to me."

"I know right? Like, I'd give anything to have an oversized sweatshirt lovingly given to me by my significant other.

from some people a few paces behind me.

There goes my good day.

(o'ωo) author's note:

hey everyone

i just wanted to quickly thank you for reading!

this book may be updated quiet irregularly, but i plan on trying my best to keep writing it. i honestly am not completely positive where i'm taking this book, but if you stick around, i'd very much appreciate it :) most of the events and situations are just things i've thought about happening to people like myself, and/or what i imagine my future to be like (well, a possible future).