Chapter 25 : The End.

My rest order had been lifted and, apparently, so had my grounding. Jace was practically begging me to help him run the house again. I was supermom once again, in his eyes anyway. My father was still mad at me, but he wasn't much different when he was angry from when he wasn't. Mark hadn't been heard of since the Trenton Bridge incident, but I doubted he was gone. There was something different in his eyes that night, something far more that the usual physco look he had. He looked desperate, and I knew from my father that desperate people did stupid things. Mark would get himself caught, but it wasn't going to be a pretty picture for anyone involved. Which meant that I would have to face the beast once again, but this time I was just as determined as Mark. I was going to kill him, no matter what I had to do. I was desperate, he was desperate, and it wasn't going to be good.

"Mommy," Jack called. I went into the living room, trying hard not to run to him. Jace was trying to tell me that treating Jack like a baby wasn't going to be help him build his confidence back up. So I roped in my motherly panic and slowly walked up to him.

"What is it?" I asked him. Jack turned around on the couch and locked eyes with me. He'd seemed to age ten years since his kidnapping. He talked different, and he wasn't as childlike. The police said that it should go away soon, but if it didn't we should seek mental health help. I wondered if Ben still practiced.

"Can we talk?" He asked.

"Sure," I whispered. I went around the couch and sat down beside him. I opened my arms and he crawled into them, laying his head on my chest. "What did you want to talk about?"

"The man," Jack told me. The man. Jack now knew Mark's name, but he refused to say it. He only refereed to him as the man.

"Jack, you know I don't like to talk about him." I said, quietly.

"I know, but I just wanted to know." Jack replied.

"Know what?" I asked.

"Did he lie to me? Is he really my daddy?"

"No," I sighed. "No Jack, he didn't lie to you, but you have to understand something. Jace is the only father you know, and he treats you like a father. Just because someone is your father doesn't make him your daddy. Jace loves you, and he wants to be your dad. Mark, well Mark isn't a kind man."

"I know Jace is my daddy, I don't want another daddy. I was just wondering something about him being my daddy."

"And what was that?"

"I thought a mommy and a daddy had to love each other to have a baby. You don't love him." Jack said.

"You're not old enough to hear this yet Jack, I promise, I'll tell you when you're older. But until then I want you to remember that we love you, no matter who your father is."

"Ok Mommy," Jack whispered. I kissed his forehead.

****

A loud ringing awoke me from my sleep. I slowly opened my eyes to see Jace trying to find his phone. He picked it up and answered it, frowning as the other person talked. He sighed and said goodbye. He smiled at me and kissed my cheek.

"That was David, he's parked in our driveway and his car won't start."

"Why is he in our driveway?" I asked, scrunching up my nose.

"He said that he went over to Megan's apartment to watch a movie or something, but Ryder was there."

"So? Ryder is always with Megan." I yawned.

"Yeah, except David said they were doing something he wasn't interested in joining in."

"Oh my god, are you kidding?" I cried.