Chapter 2 : The Hunter and the Hunted (Part 1)

Chapter 2: The Hunter and the Hunted (Part 1)

Night Walker Code 422 – Your blood before others

Roman

Although he tried his best to keep his facial expression as neutral as possible, Roman Granger had absolutely no idea what was going on. Day Walkers and Night Walkers working together? In his five years of hunting, never once had he seen such a thing. In fact, this was one of the rarest of times that he was able to come face to face with a Night Walker and not feel threatened; but he knew this girl was weak. They all were starving and obviously very tired.

"If you are interested, I do have provisions. You all seem like you need to eat." He told them. "I left it at my camp not too far away." The two vampire girls stared at him; obviously not believing him. He couldn't blame them though; he did just try and kill one of them.

"We're fine." The feisty one said; still kneeling to her brother's side. "Please leave before I change my mind and bust your head open." Although her attitude was entirely unappealing, Roman could not help but admire the true beauty that she was; he had never seen such a gorgeous vampire.

Obviously, he would never tell her such a thing; instead he answered with a simple shrug. "I understand that telekinesis makes you strong." He replied. "But I'm a Hunter, so therefore I am to sorry to inform you that despite your best efforts, you won't be able to kill me." He saw a look of surprise cross both of the girls' faces; such a thing often happened. Although abilities in Walkers were rather common, the strange laws of nature only allowed for one Hunter to exist throughout the entire Walker universe. When one dies, another is chosen; the burden just so happened to fall on him this time. In comparison to other vampires, Roman was faster, stronger, a strategist, a better leader, and his overall senses were more than double than others his kind. As an added bonus, his odor was undetectable, making him untraceable from all his enemies; he was the world's most dangerous predator.

"He might be able to help us then" The female Night Walker spoke. Before anyone could interject, she continued. "Dimidium-Lamias are chasing us through the forest." She told him. "My twin sister and I are too weak in this light to run long distances. And with Tanner's injury we can't exactly travel long, or very far; having you with us to get out of these woods would insure us our protection."

"Aria could you please shut up. This is why no one listens to you; your ideas are totally ludicrous." The beautiful one answered her voice as cold as ice. The Day Walker looked at him. "Besides, I'm sure Mr Granger was on his way back to whichever part of hell he arose from."

She certainly was beautiful on the outside, whether or not her inner beauty was the same remained questionable. Roman certainly was not going to let this girl run her mouth, however, just when he was about to reply, there was a change in the wind.

"What's wrong?" The Night Walker asked. Startled by her sudden observation, he looked at her confused. "Oh, I can feel what other people are feeling; you just suddenly became worried. If its Maria's fault I can assure you she's harmless; she likes to talk but not actually act."

"Aria shut the hell up!"

"No..." Roman answered, turning around and staring into the distance. He smelled the air, immediately detecting an odour he recognised all too well. "The Half-Breeds are closer than you think." He looked back at the Night vampire. "Where is your sister?" At which point the night vampire looked at her female Day Walker companion.

"Why didn't she come back with you?" She asked her. Stunned, the beautiful one hadn't seemed to realize the missing presence of their friend. The night vampire walked towards her, forcing the Day Walker to drop her brother' head to the ground and get up. "Where is she, Maria?!"

As the Day vampire searched for her words, Roman already knew the answer. "She's injured." He replied. "I can smell her blood, and she isn't moving. The Dimidiums however are moving fast, and if they smell her blood they'll be on her soon."

"So what should we do?" The night vampire asked, worried.

"Well, I think your friend made it pretty clear that your group doesn't need my help. So I guess I'll just be on my way." He replied.

"Wait" Maria, the beautiful one said, followed by an angry sigh. She walked towards him, glancing at her immobile brother as she passed by. "My idiot twin over there is in-love with that girl." She told him. "If it were up to me I'd let her die but that means losing my brother's confidence. So considering you just almost tried to kill us, I think it would be in your best interest to try and help us now."

"I think it would be in your best interest to learn how to talk to people nicely. "He replied. "But, yes, I will help just the same." He looked at the Night Walker. "The sun is getting pretty high so you won't be much help against the Half-Breeds. Take him and try to find somewhere safe; I'll be able to track you both down." He looked at Maria. "You just drank directly from a Mortalis vein, yes? The sun should help boost your strength; so you're coming with me."

"Lead the way then, Hunter." She replied with a teasing smile.   

Thank you for reading and also for your patience as I slowly get through updating this story! I will try to include two point of views in the next chapter (Hayden and Tanner). Til next time!

-NL101