Chapter 1: Into the Woods (Part 3)

Aria

Aria Brooks stared at Tanner Preston from across the floor of the cabin. Anyone who didn't know better would think he was dead; but Aria could still hear his slow heavy breathing. The Day Vampire was in great pain, but thankful slowly healing. Aria knew that it was going to be impossible to remain in this cabin for much longer; sooner or later they would need to change locations to avoid being found but their predators. But Tanner's injury made it rather impossible to travel for a very long time. He got very tired, very rapidly. His stomach injury was also very sensitive, causing him to bleed out often and throw up its content.

Aria quietly got up, and exited the cabin; seeking some fresh air. Outside, the sun was shining bright and glistening off the snow. She spotted a squirrel that was hoping on the surface, searching for food. Immediately, without even a second thought, she plunged for the squirrel, grabbing it by the tail then snapping its neck. When was the last time she fed? When was the last time anyone of them had had a single drop of blood? Just when she was about to sink her teeth into the rodent, Aria had a change of heart. She knew someone needed it more than she did. Sighing in disappointment, she was about to re-enter the cabin to offer her food to Tanner when she suddenly heard a nearby rapid breathing in the air, that was not her own or her companion's. She scouted the distance, doing her best to avert her eyes from the burning sun. She couldn't see anything, nor could she smell anything. However, she still felt reassured that it was not a Diminidum; their odor was detectable from miles away. What else could it be; perhaps an animal? Then, just as sudden as it had started, the odd breathing abruptly stopped; there was nothing but the quiet forest. Although Aria found it odd, she decided to ignore the matter to go help her friend. She stepped into the cabin.

"Tanner wake up, I have—" She held up her arm proudly, only to find that she was holding nothing in her hand. Confused, she went back out to see if perhaps she had dropped the squirrel before coming in, but it became quickly apparent that it was not on the ground or anywhere in sigh. Now she was beginning to feel frighten.

Ari ran back into the shack and shook her injured friend. "Wake up! We need to leave, now!" He mumbled an incoherent sound sin response. "Dammit Preston, get up!" He opened his eyes, confused. Instead of repeating herself, Aria simply grabbed his arm and hoisted him up; the rapid sudden movement caused him to throw up. However, Aria didn't let herself be phased; with Tanner lazily leaning on her, they exited the cabin. She had barely gotten a foot back outside when suddenly something jumped on her from the right side, knocking her to the ground and separating her from the Day Walker. Aria hurried to get back on her feet, and saw that her friend was lying in the snow, bleeding once more and completely immobile. She was about to approach him, when out of nowhere a figure appeared threw her against the nearest tree. The impact was so strong that the large tree trunk broke in half, and Aria felt the bones in her back snap; she yelled in pain. At this point, there was not much she could do; only wait for her bones to repair themselves, which could take an uncertain amount of time. She wanted to get up though; she wanted to help the Day Walker. If he died, Maria or even Hayden would never forgive her.

"What's wrong?" A male voice she did not recognise sarcastically said. "You aren't able to get up? Well is that not just too bad." A shadow suddenly stood over her. She could not see the man's face, just his figure and he was rather imposing.

"Leave...leave me...alone." Aria answered in pain, trying to get up but miserably failing. He put his foot on her chest to prevent her from moving. "Please, let me go! I didn't...I didn't do anything!"