Scene 1: The Green Chapel

FADE IN: 

Sc 1. EXTERNAL - SCOTTISH HIGHLANDS - POST-ICE-AGE TO PRESENT 

TIME-LAPSE MONTAGE: Evolution of a Sacred Place. 

A frozen hillside thaws. A mud-slide reveals a hill of solid rock. Moisture darkens the stone from within. A fissure forms. Water trickles to the foot of the stone. The fissure widens and the trickle becomes a steady spring. 

Birds and animals come to drink at the base of the rock. Skin-clad early humans drink with their hands. Water is collected in skins. Bone axe and spear-heads are left at the base of the rock as offerings. 

A pool forms where the offerings lay, sunlight dappling as a birch forest grows around it. 

Stone bowls are held to the stream from the rock and stone arrow-heads and beads are dropped into the pool.

Pictish carvings appear on the rock around the fissure - one of a coiled wyrm with tiny legs and flippers. 

The pool becomes well shaded as the birch forest thickens. Copper drinking vessels are filled and copper jewelry and offerings are left. 

Celtic engravings appear over the faded decorations on the rock - a small bird, an antlered man. Richly worked bronze bowls are filled, various celtic adornments are left in offering. 

Moss and other plants grow over the older carvings. Coinage from ancient to present day builds up in the bottom of the pool. 

A plastic jug is held under the water streaming from the rock. 

The jug is held by DEIRDRE(early 40s), a dark-haired, unadorned beauty in worn jeans and a thick, hand-made sweater. Holding another jug nearby is BRIGID (11), a fragile child dressed in expensive and immaculate clothes - as out of place in the Scottish countryside as her American accent. 

BRIGID: What's wrong with the taps in the house?

Deirdre winks. 

DEIRDRE: That water's not magical. 

BRIGID: Aunty Dee, I'm eleven now. 

DEIRDRE: Of course, Brigid, I apologize... 

Deirdre grins. 

DEIRDRE: This water IS magical, though. It's... sweeter and cleaner and it has healing properties. We use it to help with headaches, or an upset tummy - or hang-overs. 

Deirdre chuckles and sets the full jug on the stones at her feet and Brigid passes her the second jug. Deirdre holds the vessel under the stream, stilling the surface of the pool. Brigid gasps. 

BRIGID: There's... 

Rendered speechless, Brigid points at the treasure below. 

DEIRDRE: They're gifts, to thank the guardian of the pool for the water. 

BRIGID: Guardian? 

DEIRDRE: Of course! All magical springs have guardian spirits. 

Deirdre pulls the jug from the water and holds a coin out to Brigid. 

DEIRDRE: Do you want to give our gift, today? 

BRIGID: Why? no one takes them, they're all just sitting there.

DEIRDRE: It's a tradition - besides, (she lowers her voice, then builds to a resonant, ghost-story tone) if we don't the Shadowkeeper will come and steal your ungrateful soul!! 

She gives a mock-horror chortle and tickles Brigid. Brigid squeals and giggles but tries to hide concern when the tickling stops. She takes the coin. 

BRIGID: What do I do? 

DEIRDRE: Just kiss the coin and throw it into the pool. 

Brigid faces the pool, kisses the coin then speaks with some reverence as she tosses it into the pool. 

BRIGID: Thank you. 

DEIRDRE: Well done. 

Deirdre gives Brigid a squeeze. 

DEIRDRE: Come on, the men should be back from the river with supper. 

BRIGID: Okay. I'll go and get Mom. 

Deirdre's forces a too-bright smile. 

DEIRDRE: Jules will come when she's ready. You know her next exhibition's coming up, she has to focus and finish that landscape. Besides I can't carry both of these jugs all the way home. 

Brigid nods reluctantly and takes a jug from Deirdre. As they leave the clearing, Brigid glances back at the pool, curious and a little afraid.