Chapter Twenty

Dedicated to DinosaurColor because between her and Catbat, I had a good laugh with last chapter's comments!

The room was empty - as in completely empty. Not even my dresser was left behind. A splash of color in the far corner of my room caught my eye and upon further inspection, I discovered that it was a sock. So I guess completely empty wasn't exactly accurate. It was empty save for a single sock... a sock that wasn't even mine. I picked it up and tossed it into the hall. Now it was completely empty.

A small part of me was pissed off because Alex had gone on and on about how it would always be 'our place'. Surveying the empty void that was my room, it was obvious he didn't mean it. The carefree days of the Alex and Adrienne show were officially over. That particular thought held no malice, only sadness.

"I can explain!"

"There's nothing to explain."

I tried to sound as carefree as I used to be. I tried... and I failed.

"You see it all started when you moved out and Tasha moved in-"

"Really," I interjected. "Don't bother. I'll sleep on the couch."

I turned around to leave, strategically glancing where I knew he wouldn't be. Eye contact would weaken my resolve. It would be easier to stay away from him if I stewed in my thoughts long enough to work up a good anger. I hated that it was hard to feel anything other than disappointment.

Until a month ago, I had prided myself on the fact that a man had never been close enough to hurt me. If I'd been paying attention, I'd have realized there was one there all along in the form of my best friend.

"Come on, Midget! Let me explain!"

He moved to stand in the doorway blocking my exit.

"It's Adrienne," I replied coldly. The ice in my voice surprised even me. I was always fire, red hot passion, never ice. It was uncharacteristic, but I found that it suited my purposes better than getting angry.

"Oh come on!" Alex reached for me and I backed away.

Why couldn't he understand that I didn't want to hear why he felt the need to rid the house of every material possession I'd been unfortunate enough to leave behind?

"Coward." He spat the word like it was the worst thing ever. Being called a coward was second only to being called a whore. Alex wouldn't dare to call me the last, but apparently calling me a coward wasn't off limits.

"What'd you call me?"

"I called you a coward."

"Take that back."

"I'll take it back when you stop running and let me explain."

"Fine."

Alex opened his mouth to continue his story, but I wasn't done yet. "I'm a coward. Now get out of my way. This conversation is over."

His mouth opened but no sound came out. He wordlessly stepped aside and let me by. I wanted to leave, but I had nowhere to go. Ben's house wasn't safe, not to mention I really didn't want him to get mixed up in my affairs more than he already was. Until the meet up tomorrow, I would just have to suck it up.

With a little more force than necessary, I yanked on the metal chain that hung from the fan and the light shut off. I laid down on the couch and closed my eyes, willing my brain to turn off. My brain had other ideas. It was too busy immortalizing the shock and hurt in Alex's eyes when I told him to call me by my real name. I didn't lay there long before I heard Alex's soft sigh and the sound of his footfall as he padded over to his room. His door clicked shut and I sat up.