Chapter Eighteen

"I say we do it tonight."

"But Jose, think of the risks. It's what three o'clock right now? Seven hours isn't enough time to prepare! I still have to figure out a way to access and selectively wipe our records. I mean it's not like I can remove us completely from the system! One: They'd know it was us just by what's missing. And two: I need tonight to case the joint. We don't know what security is like and I don't know about you, but going in blind doesn't sound like a very good plan. What if we get there and it's crawling with cops? We'll get caught and end up in jail for even longer!"

"Yes, but the longer we wait the more risk we take. How do we know that he won't be at our door tomorrow with a warrant for our arrest?"

I had eventually come out of the bathroom to face my problems like a woman and to listen to the rationales of the two most adamant members of the group: Jose and Vitor. They'd known of the crisis 12 hours longer than the rest of us and by their arguments, both had utilized the additional time to reflect on the pros and cons of caution in more depth. Occasionally Natasha, Alex, Daniel and I put in our two cents, but for the most part we sat in silence. Judging from how easily we changed our minds and how we flip flopped between agreeing with Jose and Vitor, our personal opinions were just as torn.

I thought for sure one of them would make an argument powerful enough to harangue us into not only picking, but also sticking to a side. However, when it was all said and done, Daniel ended up being the ultimate voice of reason.

"Tomorrow."

Because he hadn’t said anything in a while, a simultaneous "huh?" spread through the room. We knew exactly what he was talking about, but I think I wasn't the only one surprised by the steel in his tone.

"We should do it tomorrow. There's too much at risk. Even if that backstabber goes and pulls our files right now, he'll need at least a few days to gather enough evidence to reopen old shit. I won't let myself hope that the judge will deny it because we all know there's no love lost there, but we still have time."

"What if he was working on it before he warned us?" Jose argued.

"Honestly? I doubt it. Obviously what he has in book smarts, he lacks in the common sense, because only B movie bad guys announce their plan to the prey."

"What if he was counting on that response?"

He scoffed. "If you're going with that argument then I could argue your argument by saying he might have anticipated that you would say that and that I would say this and that because of it, he would have more than adequate time to plan his diabolical scheme to take over the world."

Everyone but Jose laughed. I think we all had a shared image of Dr. Evil. Glancing at the clock, I saw that another hour had passed while they argued away.

"Let's vote, I suggested. “Because if the motion to do the job tonight goes through, we're wasting prep time."

"Agreed," Alex nodded.

"All those in favor of doing it tonight?" I asked. "And tomorrow?"

Jose sighed when it was quickly obvious that everyone, but him was in favor of tomorrow.

"Alright then. I say we get the hell out of here so we can get our shit together. I volunteer to break into the police station."

"That's practically suicide!" Alex protested. "I volunteer to take the station with her."

Natasha didn't bother covering up her disapproval, but he didn't notice because he was too busy looking at me like he wanted to strangle me. Daniel didn't look too happy either, but he was wise enough not to say anything.