Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Daniel walked into the living room closing the door after him. He had just gotten back from work. The living room was empty and the house he could tell was so quiet it seemed there was nobody home. That probably meant Doreen wasn't home yet.

Moving to climb the stairs, he smelt it.

Fried chicken.

He backtracked then headed for the kitchen to find the source of the mouth watering aroma and perhaps get to taste it to see if it tasted just the same as it smelled.

As he drew near he could hear someone humming a song. It sounded familiar. He entered the kitchen to find Rhoda and Sophia. He was still trying to get used to that name, even after the Sunday's naming ceremony Doreen had made for her.

He entered the kitchen, "Something is smelling so good"

Rhoda turned to look at him, "And someone wants some chicken which he won't get"

"Can't you make an excuse this time and just get me one?"

"You didn't greet first" Sophia stopped her humming to ask.

Daniel turned to look at her but she had already turned her direction to the onion she was chopping. Her sling had been removed two days earlier leaving her arm in its bandage. She was chopping it slowly as though someone doing it for the first time. So lazy like.

Don't blame her. The doctor did say she's got to take care and not do too much work that would put a strain on the injured arm. His conscience reprimanded him.

"Good evening" he finally greeted

Rhoda smiled, "Good evening but you are still not getting any chicken. And mom will be home soon with Doreen then you can help her with her homework"
With that smile he could see the resemblance between his mom and sister. Doreen already took after her mom in looks. Looked like all the females in the family took after each other.

"Yes mom" He turned to leave but Rhoda had another information for him.

"Adam is coming home today"

Ahhh, He finally realized the reason why she was preparing such a feast. It was all for her husband. And he had been thinking it was because she just wanted to change the menu to spice it up.

"Why are you smiling like that?"

"Because you are acting like it's the first day Adam is visiting but you should know he is is no stranger and you are married to him so no need to try so hard. After all you learnt from the best"

"I know. Get out now, I've got food to perfect"

He scoffed,"As if it isn't perfect already. Don't worry, I'm leaving now"

He said already running away as he knew just how his sister might just turn on him.

"You know you better!" Rhoda yelled from the kitchen.

Just as he stepped into the hall he was met with the door opening as his mom and niece entered. Doreen ran towards him just when she entered. Scooping her in his arms he placed her on his hip.

"How was school today D?"

"It was duper good" she chirped.

He walked towards the dining table placing her on a chair and sat on one next to her.
"You mean super"

"Madam Angie said I did super duper good today in my math. See so I did do duper good today"

He laughed at that, "I can tell that, my niece is duper good. Lets see if she can do duper well in her homework. Can she?"