ღ Fall ღ

ღ Fall ღ

"Hey, are you okay?"

I nod and force a smile upon my face. "Of course."

My friend gives me a worried look but then turns around to converse with someone else.

My gaze wanders to you. You're talking with a group, smiling, but keeping quiet. For a few moments, I just stare. You must have sensed something wrong, because you glanced in my direction and I quickly trained my gaze to the floor.

When you pay your attention back to the group in front of you, I look at you again.

Why do we want people we can never have?

Why do we hurt ourselves by telling ourselves we're not good enough for someone?

Why do I want someone I can never have?

Why do I hurt myself by telling myself I'm not good enough for you?

I look down at my fiddling hands and try my best to keep a straight face. Being too preoccupied with my thoughts, I don't notice you walk in my direction.

Someone taps my shoulder. I look up instantly. My breath hitches when I see its you. You look at me nervously, like I'm a piece of parchment paper that might tear any second; like I'm a fragile little thing that might break any second.

Maybe I am.

"Excuse me," you say.

"Yes?" I try to keep my voice even.

"Have you seen where Jenna is?" you ask.

"Jenna?"

"My girlfriend... Jenna Jones."

I shake my head no as I try to smile. "Sorry," I say, but you've already lost interest in talking to me. The only reason you even wasted a breath on me was because of your girlfriend.

"That's alright. Thanks anyway." You walk away.

The tiny thread that holds up the broken shards of my heart loses its grip and all the broken pieces fall.

Fall somewhere. Fall somehow. Fall somewhat.

They just... fall.