Chapter 21

Short weeks were all that stood between me and the end of the semester, when I knew Jack would be gone for good. I decided I didn't care. After the Halloween incident, I'd resolved to focus only on my work and on college and not my inability to manage any sort of successful love life. I'd sent Jack away, I'd told Julian I needed time. Now I was going to give myself that time.

That was the plan anyway, but of course, I could never plan for Julian.

He was waiting for me, leaning against Mom's car in the student lot. "Hey, Anna," he said, pushing his dark bangs back.

"Your cast is off," I said, hugging my books to my chest.

He held out his hand, flexing his fingers. "Yeah. Just got it off. I'm working on getting the strength back."

I remembered the night of the birthday party when he'd carried me to the T-bird after I'd fallen-how worried he'd been, how protective. His little dragonfly tattoo was uncovered now, and it was the first time I could see it exactly matched my ring.

"Did you need something from me?" I asked, hating this tension I felt when I was around him now. I wanted things to be easy between us again.

"I should've done this before now." He exhaled, looking down.

"Done what?"

"I'm sorry," he said. "I mean... I'm not sorry it happened. But I'm sorry if you're mad. Or if I hurt you."

"Are you talking about at the maze?"

Blue eyes rose to mine, and my heart did its usual Julian-pull. "Yeah, I guess I went too far that night."

"It wasn't completely your fault. I mean, I didn't exactly fight you."

"I remember." The little grin teasing at the corners of his mouth made me hug my books tighter. Focus.

"I've got to get to the paper office," I said.

He straightened up, moving away from the car. "Sure. I just wanted to tell you that."

I nodded and dug my keys out of my bag. But I stopped before opening the door. "I'm not mad or hurt," I said. "We were all excited, and it was dark. And confusing."

"Were you confused?" He studied my face, and I could feel it turning red.

"No," I said quietly. "But I am now. What I really want is a break. School, going to work, that's all."

"Okay," he nodded. "I'm not pushing you. And I'm not going anywhere. You know, when you feel less confused."

I started to get in the car, but I stopped. "Why?"

His brow creased, but the tiny smile still teased at his lips. "Did you just ask me why?" Then he caught one of my curls. "Are you kidding? Have you seen how cute you are?"

"C'mon, Julian." I shoved the curl behind my ear. "I'm being serious."

He shrugged. "Because you're my angel. You put me on the map. You always believe in me."

"I didn't do anything. You've done it all, and it was just a matter of time before everybody saw it."

He laughed. "See? That's what I'm talking about. Oh, and you're great at math."

I exhaled a laugh then, too. "Yes. So great, you failed the course."

"I might've passed."

My jaw dropped. I couldn't believe it. "Are you saying... Did you fail on purpose? Julian, why?"

He touched my nose. "Why do you think? And then you went and quit on me."

"That's why you were mad," I said, remembering his odd reaction our first day back. "And now you have to take it again."