Chapter Forty-Nine - Heartache

A/N: Just to preface this, I am fully aware that some of my readers may be young (as in 12 or younger). Although I will never write anything explicit, this chapter contains sexual implications. Please determine for yourself whether you are mature enough to read this and skip over if need be. THIS IS NOT A LEMON OR SMUT.  This is a clean chapter.  Thank you.

Eventually, when the villagers disperse, Seán stands and brings Mark up to their room. The prince is giddy as he rambles on and on, unable to wipe the massive smile from his face. Seán nearly smiles as well, but he can't bring himself to. He might start crying if he does.

He opens the door and lets Mark through before stepping in and closing it softly behind him, exhaling shakily and quietly. The prince takes his crown off and places it on the side table, talking endlessly.

"They're all so nice, Seán. They were so happy to hear my story and they were all so supportive of our goal and I just love it so much here. It really feels like home. They told me their stories and things the conqueror has done, and it's awful. I think we can do something really great if we save this kingdom—"

Seán takes a step forward and cuts him off with a firm kiss to the lips. After a moment of surprise, Mark kisses back. The king's breaths are shaky as he holds the prince close, his heart simultaneously filling to the brim and shattering.

"Mark," Seán whispers, running his fingers over the prince's stubble. His eyes fill with tears, but he doesn't wipe them away. He knows more will just keep coming. "I need—"

"Hey, it's okay," Mark replies softly, pressing his lips to Seán's again. His hands find a place on the royal's waist as he holds him close, deepening their kiss.

Seán wraps his arms around Mark's neck, tears wetting his cheeks and eyelashes. His chest aches as he tries his hardest to remember every aspect of Mark, afraid of forgetting him. He sobs softly, involuntarily, and the prince instantly tightens his grip.

"I've got you," Mark whispers against his lips. "I've got you. You're safe."

Seán's voice breaks as he tightens his hold on the prince. "M-Mark..."

Mark gently removes the king's crown, setting it beside his own before moving to the bed. Their kiss breaks for only a moment before they become locked together again, Mark's hands running up and down Seán's sides beneath his shirt.

The king wishes his heart wasn't breaking with every kiss or affectionate touch. He wishes that Mark would say he isn't staying and is instead coming back to Viride with him. He never wants this wonderful, crazy, beautiful romance to end. Seán knows those desires can't come true. Both of them have responsibilities in separate kingdoms, and their duties don't coincide with their feelings for one another.

"I love you," Seán murmurs through the onslaught of tears. "I love you so, so much..." I never thought losing you like this could be worse than death...

Every move Mark makes is gentle and tender, sending Seán on a rollercoaster of emotions that leaves his heart bursting with love and aching with anguish and grief at the exact same time. He holds the prince close, attempting to engrain every aspect of Mark into his memory before he loses him forever. He wants to remember what it feels like to move with Mark in perfect harmony. He doesn't want to lose him. Why do I have to lose him?

"I love you too, Seán," Mark answers, his voice reverberating in the king's mind and heart. Seán doubts there will ever be anything else that feels so good but hurts so much at the same time. Mark is the best thing that ever happened to him and even if he wanted to forget him, he wouldn't be able to.

Seán tucks himself against Mark's side, burying his tear-stained face in the prince's bare chest. Mark runs his arms around him, holding him close and nuzzling his nose into the king's green hair. He rubs soothing circles into Seán's back before adjusting his position so he can press kiss after gentle kiss onto the royal's cheeks and forehead.

"What do you need, Seán?" Mark asks softly, catching the king's bright blue gaze.

"Just stay here. Please," Seán murmurs. "I need you near."

The prince nods, his eyes fluttering closed. "I can do that."

Seán nestles against him, his heart squeezing uncomfortably as he inhales Mark's scent. Does the prince realize that in a few days, they'll be separated for what could be forever? Will reality hit him later? Seán exhales heavily and shuts his eyes, focusing on the good feelings instead of the horrendously painful ones. Mark falls asleep against him, his body warm and strong, and the royal manages a small smile.

This is good.