Chapter Forty-Four - On the Topic of Kingdoms

Mark wakes up first, his brain immediately tuning in to the warm body beside him.   He shifts, absentmindedly running his fingers over the soft cotton of a sleep shirt.  Glancing up, he can see Seán slumped awkwardly against the headboard, fast asleep with his neck angled uncomfortably to the side.  Mark smiles a little and tucks his head against the king's chest again, exhaling heavily.  He doesn't exactly feel well-rested, but at least he's not exhausted.

    Above him, Seán lifts his head with a groan.

    "Morning," Mark murmurs.  "You should get comfortable.  Your neck probably hates you."

    The king mumbles an agreement, rubbing the back of his neck as he shifts down to the pillows.  Mark takes a deep breath and moves closer, snaking his arm around Seán's waist. Even in the morning, the royal is adorable. His green hair sticks up at odd angles and his blue eyes threaten to flutter closed, and Mark can't resist. He runs his fingers through Seán's hair, ruffling the tendrils even more. He doesn't want to ruin this by talking about Rubellus.  He knows Seán will do everything to avoid that topic in particular.

    "I probably need to get moving, but I don't want to," the king mumbles, pressing himself closer to Mark.

    "Same here," the prince replies.  He brushes his nose against Seán's shoulder, his fingers trailing up and down his spine.  The king leans into him, sighing deeply.  "I'll come by your office this evening.  I want to talk."

    "I'll be there."

    "Good.  Oh, and I'm sorry.  For last night.  For freaking out and probably alerting the entire castle."

    Seán shakes his head.  "It's fine, Mark.  I don't mind coming in here and calming you down, and I'm sure everyone else in the castle was disturbed for only a moment."

    Mark catches his gaze and holds it, his brown eyes filled with concern.  "How much sleep did you actually get?  You looked like you had just passed out when I woke up."

    "A few hours.  Two, maybe three.  I'll be okay."

    "I'm sorry..."

    Seán smiles lightly, dragging a thumb along Mark's jaw.  "As long as I get to catch up tonight, I'm good.  Don't worry about it."

    Mark leans in, pressing a kiss to Seán's lips before pulling himself out of bed.  The king groans, his hand flopping against the now vacant space.

    "Come on, Seán.  You've got royal duties to get to," Mark says, glancing back at him with a grin.

    "What a pain," the king replies, unable to hold back his own smile.  He rubs his eyes one last time before pulling himself out of bed, ruffling his hair as he does.

    "This evening.  Your office.  Be there," Mark says.

    "I will."  Seán steps forward, pulling the prince closer in order to kiss him again.  "I did not do that enough before."

    Mark grins, brushing his lips against the king's. "I agree."

    "I'll see you this evening."

    The prince nods and Seán pulls himself away from Mark, heading out of the room.  Mark smiles lightly and gets ready for the day ahead, his mind stuck on Seán and the looming topic of Rubellus.

    When evening rolls around, Mark heads down to Seán's office.  His stomach churns from nerves and dread, and he prays that talking about his kidnapping won't induce a panic attack.  They can't keep dancing around the touchy things.  Mark wants to go back to his kingdom, and he needs to talk to Seán about it before he does.