Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Maya was acting extremely weird.

It wasn't just the fact that she practically refused to talk to me, but she wouldn't talk to anyone, not even her roommate Skye - who happened to be one of the nicest people I had ever met.

We had been living here, wherever 'here' was, for around a week now and everyday there was something different to learn. Everyday at three o'clock in the afternoon, Maya and I were to meet Theodore in his office and learn a little something more about this war. As it turned out, I really did have prophetic dreams; I remembered the white room incident a couple of nights ago and I almost went ballistic. But luckily for them, Maya was absent when I remembered; she would have kicked the shit out of anyone she could find.

I was sitting in my room thinking when I came to the conclusion that there was something seriously wrong with Maya. She barely ever spoke to me and, worse, she barely even looked my way. When I really looked, I could see her eyes gazing off into the distance like she wasn't even there. As I stared at the intricately-patterned ceiling, I came to the realization that I had to do something to help. Perhaps she needed something from our former life? She always was obsessed with that iPod of hers...

I sighed in frustration and sat up from my previous position on the comfy bed. I stared around the room for some inspiration, but there was nothing that reminded me of our old messy room. Luna, my new roommate, happened to be the most extremely tidy person I had ever met. Every time I walked across the plush carpet, I expected her to be crawling behind me and trying to pick up the tiny crumbs of dirt I left behind. Her side of the room was so expertly done and every little thing had its rightful place. Still, Luna was actually extremely hyper, but she had OCD on cleaning.

The room itself was rather... black. The walls were painted black, but on each wall there was a set of intricately painted stars and constellations. As much as I enjoyed being in the sun, I really did love this room; the stars seemed to light up at night, even though there were no windows.

My side of the room couldn't have been any plainer. Luna had given me one of her spare bed sheets, and so I was lying on white cloth that had a huge silvery moon painted in the middle. I couldn't be surprised; I mean... her name was Luna and all.

"Maybe it's time I collected some things from home anyway..." I mumbled to myself, pulling back my hair and placing it in an untidy high-ponytail. I wasn't entirely sure that Gabrielle would let me out; I wasn't even sure there was a way out, but it was worth a try, right?

I flung my lanky legs over the bed and crossed the room. Recently, I had learned to navigate my way through these never-ending hallways. From my room, it was straight, turn left, straight, turn left and straight on again to get to the living room. It had taken a while for me to understand this, but I had got it eventually. As far as I knew, all I had ever seen was the living room, my room, Maya's room and the kitchen.

Gabrielle was in the kitchen consulting with Michael, her sort of second-in-command. Michael was nice; he was helping Theodore to teach us how to do a couple of tricks, but he hardly ever spoke. When I walked in, the two went instantly silent.

"Yes, Eva?" Gabrielle asked sweetly. I liked Gabrielle, but I could never figure her out; sometimes she seemed so motherly that it broke my heart, but there were times when she was so cold that it turned my heart to stone.

"Um, I was wondering if I could go back home and pick up some things." I asked sheepishly and diverted my eyes to the floor.

"What ever would you need?" Gabrielle asked. I wasn't sure whether she was treating me like an idiot, or if she was genuinely asking.