Chapter 19

Drip, drip, drip

Crinkles formed around the eye as it narrowed, yet again, as if perhaps peering harder would reveal something previously unseen among the lines of data. The screen of the computer illuminated the otherwise dim cave, casting a bluish glow over the lined face. The numbers, letters, and pictures on the screen were reflected in the dark blue eyes, each orb its own miniature screen. A calloused hand slowly scrolled down the page, the motion becoming almost second nature; like a machine.

Bruce absently reached for the mug next to the keyboard; the mug that had the worm painted on it against a white background. Dick’s mug. He brought the rim up to his lips before quickly lowering it, eyes wide and hands frantic as he zoomed in on the section of DNA. An abnormality; finally. He pulled up the strand in question, eyes skimming over all the information on the screen, brain desperately taking it in like a starved prisoner. Whatever it was was vague, barely there, as though… hidden. Cloaked. The cloaking device! Whatever the madman had used to cloak the DNA was wearing off, just like he’d said.

Bruce’s hands flew across the keyboard as the screen flashed through different screens, each one slowly bringing out the DNA characteristics. The particular strand of DNA was separate from the rest of Dick’s and, upon closer inspection, bore little to no similarities to his at all. It seemed to have been paired up with one of Dick’s own DNA strands, somehow disguised this whole time as either belonging to Dick’s genetic makeup or utterly invisible. However it was done didn’t matter, though. It was here now and finally, finally, Bruce might be able to have a handle on the situation.

As slowly information made itself known, Bruce’s eyes grew wider and wider as the scope of it all became clear. The DNA was some kind of hybrid DNA; Kryptonian DNA with the Blockbuster formula somehow injected in it. For some reason it didn’t seem to have influenced Dick’s genetic makeup in any way and, as far as Bruce could tell, was somehow dormant in his body. Whoever the man behind this was, was a genius. It would explain why he needed Dick back, besides obviously wanting the results of his experiment: the process wasn’t finished yet. Whoever this was wanted to make some sort of superhuman. Why or for what purpose was unclear, but Bruce could think of way too many reasons.

He pushed the button on the communicator next to the computer. “Alfred; I’ve found it.”

There was an audible sigh of relief on the other end followed by the older man’s voice: “Thank goodness, sir. Finally we can this whole mess straightened out.”

“The DNA is some sort of Blockbuster enhanced Kryptonian DNA; that madman was telling the truth when he said it was cloaked. And that the cloaking was wearing off. If I can manage to isolate the inferior DNA we should be able to remove it. It will be difficult, but I don’t think impossible.”

“That’s wonderful news, sir. I’m sure Master Richard will be pleased to hear it.”

“You should tell him.”

“I think perhaps it would be better coming from you, sir, don’t you think?”

“Perhaps, but the sooner I can figure out a plan for isolating that DNA, the better.” Bruce was already pulling up new windows, finger again flying across the keyboard, the conversation with Alfred already out of his mind.

“Sir, if you don’t mind me saying, I think it’s time you opened your eyes and realized something.”

Bruce’s fingers stopped, his eyes closing. “What, Alfred?”

“Do you know where Master Dick is, sir? Do you know where he is?”

“He’s with the Team.” Bruce had gotten Dick’s message earlier that morning and had decided that, with the lack of kidnapping attempts in the past few weeks and the security the mountain provided, not to mention the cameras Bruce had monitoring the Team’s headquarters (though he admitted he hadn’t checked any of them yet; he’d been busy), he’d decided the boy would be safe enough there.