Chapter 15

Artemis got unsteadily to her feet. Her head was spinning and her vision kept flickering with little fireflies. Her back ached from where it had slammed into the tree and for the first time since they’d been missing, she was glad she didn’t have her bow and quiver – the blow would’ve smashed them. The archer ran a hand across her eyes, attempting to forcefully clear her vision as she blinked rapidly, trying to locate the source of the light beam that had hit her. A quick survey of the area found nothing. Nothing, and no one, meaning –

“Robin!” Artemis’s eyes widened, her stance becoming panicked as she yelled. “Robin! Robin!” There was no answer.

She tried her com-link, only to be met with static on Robin’s channel. The mental link was down as well as Miss Martian was out of range.

“He’s gone.”

Artemis spun around at the sound of the voice. Superboy was making his way out of the trees, his face a mask of anger and his fists clenched like he wanted to punch something. Hard.

“What?”

“Atomic Skull,” Superboy growled. “The guy that looks dead. He shot him with his light beam thing and then disappeared.”

“Wait, he took,” Artemis paused, scared to finish her sentence, “Robin?”

Superboy nodded, his knuckles cracking as he glared at a spot on the ground, probably where Robin had last been.

Artemis felt her heart speed up and her fingers grow cold as the realization that Robin was kidnapped finally sunk in. She hadn’t been able to protect him. Cadmus had succeeded. Robin was in the hands of the enemy and was probably being taken to be prepped for experimentation at that very moment. She could feel herself on the verge of a panic attack, maybe a mental breakdown -

No. She wasn’t going to let that happen. Not while she still stood. If the experience with the Red’s had taught her anything it was that curling up in a ball and crying for the world not to be like it was wasn’t going to help anyone. Robin needed her now and she had to be strong. She was a trained assassin. There was still hope. He’d only just been taken. There was no way Atomic Skull could be more than five minutes away from them as it was impossible to maneuver any type of aircraft through the forest.

“Superboy,” Artemis turned to the clone. “Which way did Atomic Skull go?”

“North, I think.” The Kryptonian’s face was still screwed up in anger. “But he, he just disappeared. One minute he was there and then he wasn’t.”

Artemis frowned. That sure put a damper on her idea. But maybe….

“Artemis to Batman.” The archer put her finger to her ear, switching to the correct channel.

“Batman here.”

“It’s Robin, he’s been kidnapped.” Artemis could hear the throaty growl that travelled through her earpiece. “It was Atomic Skull. Superboy said he went north but disappeared before he could be followed.”

“I’m tracking your coordinates. I’ll be there soon. I have a tracker on Robin that will lead me to his location.”

“No.” Artemis was only slightly surprised by her outburst. She was an assassin. “Skull will be long gone before you catch up to him. Besides, the League needs you and Superman right now. We’re closer than you. Have Kid Flash bring us the tracker and we’ll go after him.”

There was a long pause before finally:

“Fine, but if he leaves the vicinity report back immediately. I’ll send the Flash to assist you as soon as we can spare him.”