Chapter 10 - Black Cole

Chapter 10 – Black Cole

Joshua opened up his eyes. It was silent.

It’s way too quiet here… the sun hadn’t risen yet, he could barely see the outlining of the trees above him.

The dinner last night had strengthened him, although, he could feel the lack of sleep he experienced throughout the last couple of day. Last night had been particularly brutal.

He had tossed and turned for half the night, not being able to sleep. Actually, he was fairly sure that his outward appearances displayed the weariness he felt inside with perfection. Rubbing the sleep away from the corners of his eyes, he sat up and looked around.

The hazy sunlight glinted in the morning dew that had spread around him. He knew that the sun would dry the little drops of water soon.

With a sigh, Joshua ran a hand through his hair and looked towards the fireplace. He could see Annabell sleeping; a slight snore revealed that she was indeed safe. He let out a breath at the sound of her annoying nasal whistling.

Cole was nowhere in sight. Standing up to stretch, Joshua noticed that Kato wasn’t around either. He carefully knocked at the door to the hut, before entering, just to find it empty.

Walking over to Annabell who slept beside the burned out fireplace, he looked at her sleeping face. A wave of guilt of not telling her the truth hit him once more. He squatted down and reached out to shake her awake, though, hesitated as she mumbled something that he couldn’t distinguish. She gave a snort and began snoring again.

Shaking her lightly, he tried to be gentle.

“Annabell,” he said in a low voice. She didn’t respond, so he shook a little harder.

“Annabell, wake up!” he said this time louder, and he relaxed a bit as he saw her eyelids flutter.

“What?” she asked in a sleepy voice.

“You need to wake up now!” he said and sat back.

“No, just a few minutes more,” she pleaded and took the blanket over her head. Joshua grabbed the blanket and pulled it down.

“No, now! We need to get going,” he commanded.

“Solem, what’s the rush? It’s barely even morning, Joshua,” she asked annoyed. Opening her eyes slowly she stared at him.

“Cole is gone,” he just said. She rolled her eyes in response.

“He’s probably just out to pee, or something. Relax. Go back to sleep. You look like you could need it!” she said and turned away from him.

Joshua sighed. She could be right. He couldn’t even explain why he didn’t trust the guy, who had helped them. His suspicion was based on a feeling in his gut. He couldn’t justify it.

Yet, that guy just irks me, something is horribly wrong with that dude…

Getting the journal once more, he found the page with his father’s instructions on.

‘Joshua,

You are still young, and if you are reading this, that means I’m no longer around to teach you this myself.

You have to take the girl to her sister in Yildun. I fear that as soon as she gets older, The Elders will come to look for her, and her life will be in danger. We can’t let this happen. The stars have told me that the Elders have it wrong. The girls are not the Rising Star. She and her sister are the key to unravel the truth and make the second part of the prophecy happen.