Chapter 18 - Death Upon Us

Nothing moved—not a single word could be heard. Even the wind didn’t seem to be able to move the leaves in this desolate, cursed place.  

Annabell stared at the crimson pools. The rich color stood out in contrast to the bare, colorless ground. She wanted to look away, to forget it. However, she found herself unable to; the blood of Joshua was calling at her—demanding her attention.

On shaky legs, she stumbled closer. With each step,  she took, her knees began to tremble and she struggled to keep her body upright. Her tentative footsteps echoed throughout the air.

“Be careful, Annabell,” Miriam’s voice sounded from afar, “Blake might still be around.”

Annabell didn’t care. She hoped that Blake was around; she would strangle him to death with her own bare hands.

If he had… she couldn’t even finish that thought, she refused finish it.

Joshua… She bowed her head and for the first time in her life, sent an official prayer to the stars. He can’t be dead… He sacrificed his whole life for your causefor everyone. He can’t be dead. I beg of you. Solem, I beg of you, he can’t be dead.

There came no reply, only her own rasped breathing answered. She opened her eyes and looked at the scorched, withered earth. Annabell wasn’t sure what she had expected, but her heart fell when she looked upon the bloodied ground. The crimson liquid seemed to float above the ground, unable to soak into the earth.

A single tear fell from her right eye. Rolling down her cheek, it slid off her face, falling to the ground in a spiral. She closed her eyes before it reached the land.

“Annabell…” Miriam gasped.

She looked up to see Miriam pointing on a spot on the ground. Annabell found the area and was surprised to learn that where the tear had fallen, a bright green color sprouted. The grass was alive, growing through the depressing grey.

Annabell felt dizzy. Her body was weak, and she fought against the exhaustion with all she had, but was forced to react when her knees buckled under her. When she hit the grass, a jolt of pain rushed through her body. She ignored it; there was no point in caring about it anymore. Joshua was gone, and she had no way to save him. For the first time in her life, she felt the aching sense of despair set its roots inside her.

Joshua… the only boy who had managed to make her open up was gone. He was the only who had known who she truly was, whom she was not, and who she wished to be. He wasn’t anymore…

“He’s dead,” she whispered. She kept mouthing the words, hoping that it would hurt less—it didn’t. The impression that she had signed his death penalty wouldn’t disappear. The thoughts stabbed at her heart, but she couldn’t take them back. It was final; Joshua was truly gone.

Despair filled her, and she let out a frustrated cry. The single green dot mocked her, and she started to hack at it. She grabbed at the colorful snout and attempted to tear it up. When her clumsy fingers couldn’t get a hold, she dug her nails deep into the ground. Pain tore through her fingertips, but nothing could compare to the intense pain that drummed through her heart. The tears fell freely now, creating a cascade of heartache streaming down her face.

Every tear that fell on the ground, created a new burst of nourished earth. Flora grew fast, and Annabell wanted to scream at them.

A strong gust of wind entered the clearing, lifting her hair up. It whipped against her face and wrapped its chilling cold hand around her.