Chapter 2

*Please Read Authors Note at end. 

              Normally school meals are the most dreaded part of the high school experience. This school is no exception. And lucky me, I get to eat here for three meals a day. They have a total of three options for breakfast. And they’re not normal food. They’re barely even edible.

They have fried eggs that feel like plastic, and pancakes that taste more like cardboard, and then pop tarts. Oh, yum. The least disgusting one, from where I stood in the lunch line, looked to be the pop tart. So, I grabbed that and paid the lunch lady.

Three dollars for a god damn pop tart.

“So, who’s your roommate?” I heard a high pitched voice from beside me. I literally jumped in the air, my tray falling out of my hands. Thank god my pop tart was wrapped.

“Missy, next time cough or something!” I exclaimed. She leaned over and picked up my tray and pop tart for me.

“So, who is it?” She asked again, waving off my demand. She stared at me expectantly. I sighed, and walked to an empty table. She sat beside me.

“I don’t know, she didn’t come back to the dorm last night.” I shrugged. It was the truth. Although I clearly had a roommate, since the opposite side of my room was covered in pink, I had yet to see her. I wasn’t complaining though. She didn’t seem tolerable. That much pink could not be a good sign. Literally, everything was pink. Her covers, desk, notebooks, you name it.

“That’s weird. We have a rule about not sleeping in other people’s dorms except on weekends with permission.” She said. “Not that anyone really follows it, but still.”

I bit into my pop tart, and shrugged my shoulders again. I could honestly care less about my roommate or the rules.

“Hey, don’t look now, but Drew is walking in.” She said smugly.

I ignored her warning and turned to see Drew walking into the cafeteria with Rebecca on his arms. She was kissing up his neck, and honestly, he just looked annoyed. I couldn’t help but laugh. They walked into the food line while Rebecca continued to try to grab his hand, until he shoved them into his pocket. She pouted and turned around ‘discreetly’ unbuttoning her top, and pushing her boobs up before turning back to him.

This time, he said something to her a bit loudly and by the angry look on his face, it wasn’t nice. I was proven right as she turned around with tears in her eyes and ran away. He sighed and as I continued to laugh, his eyes flicked to me. He smirked and that killed my laughter. I simply shook my head and looked back to my food.

“By the looks of that – I’d say Drew is back on the market.” Missy said happily. Her eyes glanced up above me and then grew wide, before I had a chance to look; Drew plopped down into the seat beside me.

“Hey, Missy.” He smiled at her carelessly. Surprisingly, instead of becoming silent and awkward like yesterday, Missy smiled back at him.

“Hi, Drew!” She chirped. “I’m going to go grab a snack from the vending machine. Do you want anything, Sage?” I resisted the urge to laugh at her obvious attempt at giving us some privacy, but reached for my back pocket where my money was.

“Yeah, can you grab me some Doritos?” I asked, but pulled a face when I realized I’d only brought enough money down for my breakfast. “Actually, never mind. I left my money in the room.”

“I got it.” Drew smiled, handing a dollar to Missy before she walked off. I rolled my eyes and took a bite of my pop tart.

“So, how was skyping?” He asked, with a cocky smile.