Goodbye Forest : Chapter Thirty-Two

The session of merriness was upon us, snow fluttering around in winter flurries outside of the house. The winds carried northern chills, causing one's nose to turn red when exposed to it.

I laid in bed with Kalder, the Paladin's warm arms cloaking my form along with the blanket. The furs and wool would keep us nice and toasty in the chilling winter weather.

"Hey Forest?" He looked up at me. I perked up an eyebrow, gently combing my pink fingers through his locks.

"What is it, my love?" I inquired.

"Have you. . .Ever thought about having kids?" He asked uncertainly, fearing what such a question would bring out of me.

I stared at him, becoming a bit pale. I had never truly thought about becoming a mother. I honestly feared it. I did not grow up with a mother, so I would have little experiences with motherhood; I would have no idea what to do. Worst of all, I dreaded leaving them as my mother had left her kin. Then, they would grow into criminals like myself. That was completely excluding the fact they would be a half-breeds.

The Alliance has just recently formed, and acceptance of multicultural couples had not become a norm yet. I myself secretly believed Kalder's parents had a distaste for me. I couldn't exactly blame them though. I happened to be quite the shady individual.

"C-Children?" I repeated his point, trying to take it in. "Kalder, they would be half-elves." I explained to him. "I'm not half-breed, but I know what discrimination feels like. I would hate for our children to experience such." I then glanced down. "Besides, I do not think I am quite ready to be a mother; I don't know if I'll ever be." I took in a deep breath, before slowly letting it out. I glanced up at him, expecting the worst of reactions. His face was calm and understanding as always. Sometimes I hated him for that; being more level headed than I.

"Forestfae, you'd be a great mother, but I know you have your worries and fears. I won't pressure you into anything - that would only make things worse for you - but when you're ready, I know I will fully support your decision." I wanted to embrace him and thank him, yet at the same time to urge to punch him in his saintly teeth was rising. I know he wasn't trying to guilt me, but regardless, I had begun to feel that way.

"Thank you. . ." I grumbled. He leaned over to plant a kiss on my head.

"Don't thank me, Forest; me respecting you is an expectation. A standard." He smiled, snuggling up to me. "Though we do eventually have to get out of bed if we are expected to reach my parents' house by nightfall." I groaned and buried my face in my pillow.

"Do we have to?!" I complained. Those who were with someone would understand the stress of in-laws. Kalder's parents were no exception. More so, my paranoia of their disappointment in Kalder's choice of women.

"Yes, we do! They wish to have us over for Winter's Veil. You should feel honoured that they invited you." Kalder said, trying to encourage me to come. It wasn't working too well.

"Hmph, do you think father and Equinos will be able to find the place?" I inquired, attempting to change the topic it. It had worked. Kalder scratched his scruff, staring off thoughtfully.

"I think he will. Your father has basically been around the world at this point - more than I have." He assured his wife. Finally, I lugged myself out of bed, the coolness of the house brushing up against my bare skin. I was half-tempted to craft back under the warm blankets with Kalder. I knew I couldn't do such though. I sat up on the edge of my bed.