Chapter 1

People call it, The End.

Explosions from bombs, grenades, and rattling bullets from guns made fear of the weak. Men fighting for their country, sacrifice and justice flow within them. Ignoring the pain, as they should fight for their freedom. Or else, they will all end up being caged treated like trapped birds. It was loud, bloody, and tragic. Matthias Køhler is one of the soldiers in the field fighting the enemy. Hiding in the trenches and reloading their guns. It led them to a nightmare.

Matthias aimed the German soldier and shot him in the head as he quickly goes down and duck himself in. He glanced at the soldier, a former friend of his, making a grin. "You alright there?!" He shouts so that he can hear what Matthias said.

The soldier chuckles and shook his head, aiming another shot. "As if!" They both laughed, like of was another small jokes from soldiers who tried to be brave.

"Look. I have a pregnant wife back home!" The soldier added, smiling at Matthias.

Matthias felt warmth and happiness that the soldier is so lucky. "Congratulations! Yer so lucky to have a child!"

"Damn right" he replied.

Took them almost an hour to fight with the Germans, somehow it gets worst than it usually was. Matthias stayed still, from a grenade blasted nearby. As it stopped, Matthias was able to shoot another enemy but somehow, the soldier immidietly thorws himself down to the trenches. Matthias looked back, as he glanced at the soldier with blood flowing on his coat and clothes. He shoots two enemies which includes the one who killed his former friend then calls for backup and head to the body of the soldier.

He pressed his thumb of the soldier's side jaws, checking for a present pulse. It's weak, but still beating. "Shit. Hang in there!" He shouts, shoving his hand in his bag where the safety kit is, rustling sounds making the soldier even more awake. Matthias found a bandage, and pressed it on the left chest of the soldier, making it stop the blood. He noticed that the soldier isn't moving and he feels like it's getting heavier. He paused, his eyes looked at him like a terrified person mixed with anxiousness. He moves his head sideways, as it drops like a dead body. He gabbed his shoulders and shake him to wake up. "Hey. Hey! You can't die here!" He pressed harder and grabbed his hand. "Look at me!" He shouts, the soldier's eyes slowly moved to face him.

"Good! Now listen, stay with me. Don't you fucking dare die, you understand?! You see...you have a family! A beautiful family! You said that your wife is pregnant, right? Then don't die for the love god...You don't want your child to be born in this world without a father.." He trembles, anxiously looking down at the soldier.

"Tell them...T-that I always love them.." The soldier smiles, and all he see is darkness.

Matthias felt his cold pale hands starts to get heavy as it drops to the ground. "No..no no no." Matthias panicked and looked everywhere speechless.

"We need to go!!" Another soldier grabbed Matthias by the arm and forcing him to walk away. "W-what?" He said.

"They're strong enough! We need to leave!" The other shouted.

Matthias turns his head back, breathing hard, as if it was a slow motion with echoed voices of the bombs and furrowed his eyebrows. Another explosion from a grenade blasted so near to them, but from their quick look, they immidietly fused to take cover as rocks raining over them and soil. A medium sized rock hit the hand of Matthias which is painful. He inhales from the pain, trying to ignore and run to their truck.

The first batch left, and other batches stay behind. Matthias was able to go with the first batch and they all stay put in the truck. He looks back to the thick black smoke and the smell of ashes and fuel that made him feel terrified, the sounds of machine guns and men yelling made all of them feel afraid and worried. As the glimpse of the field got smaller, Matthias bows his head and gently touches his hand, frowning.

Thinking that if only war can be stopped anytime things could get better.

But it didn't happen.

Sooner later, they arrived in their base and Matthias jumps off from the trucm together with the other soldiers an head to the medical center which happened to be a huge tent.

As he enters, he just find himself a seat and gripping his injured hand. A figured man walked towards him and sits in front of him. Matthias gestures himself to place his hand on the table and glanced twice to the doctor. "What happened?" The young looking doctor raised an eyebrow, takes a glimpse at the danish soldier.

Mattias wasn't able to move at that time. He looked at his eyes, which happened to be so deep, colored violet eyes and soft blonde hair. His eyes locked at the other male, as if they were having a staring contest. The doctor's cheeks turns slightly pink and snap out, with a blink of being serious. "Umm..Soldier?" He asked, and Matthias snaps from his daydreaming.

"Y-yes!" Matthias replied

The doctor narrows his eyes but suddenly converts to normal. "Are you okay?" He asked.

Matthias bites his lip and nods quickly.

The doctor sighs and lays back on the chair. "So, what happened to you?"

"I uh...my hand, it got injured" he looked away and his face turns pink.

The doctor is confused about him, and makes it clear. "How?" He asked again, Matthias meets his eyes and frowns. "A huge Rock fell onto it. From a grenade blast" he justified, the doctor nods and opens the safety kit. He grabs something that is stretchy and looks like a bandage. He grabs the soldier's hand gently, Matthias feels it warm and soft. "Hey um..what's your name?" He asked.

The young doctor lift his head to meet his eyes, speechless, his face looks curious. He then shakes his head and slightly smiles. "Does it matter?" He said.

Matthias nervously smiles "I think so?" He replied. Thinking that it was a stupid question, but there's nothing wrong on asking. He wanted to be friends with this young doctor, because he's so good on treating people. The doctor continues to wrap the bandage around Matthias' hand. "Lukas, Lukas Bondevik." After all the wrapping, he placed a small sharp in to hold the end of the bandage.

Matthias nods "Nice name, I'm Matthias Køhler!" He greets back and tries to get handshake. Lukas felt confused at first, but accepts the handshake. "Well then, Mr. Køhler. You can have some rest now" he replied.

The handshake ended, and Matthias noticed his strange accent. "Hey, you don't sound danish. Where are you from?" He curiously sits up and looked at him.

"Does it matter to you?" Lukas raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms.

Matthias felt surprised about the answer "I think so? I just want to know"

Lukas nods "we're just neighbors, and you Danes are so loud. No wonder why the Germans always caught you all"

"Does it matter to you?" Matthias smirked and blinks at him.

The other male sighed and stands up. "Better get some rest, soldier. You will have a tough day tomorrow."

"I see. From the voice within you, i feel like you're from norway, huh?" He smiles. Right when the other male heard it, he nods and claps quietly.

Matthias feels his heart warm up because he finally got the answer. "Really? Why are you here?" He asked, feeling curious and wondering on how he got here.

"Work, they sent me." Lukas replied and starts to walk away

The Dane watches him walks out but he wants to talk with him more. "W-wait!" He called out. Lukas paused and turns back to look at him. "What? I have a lot of patients waiting for me" he said. "It'd be better if you get some rest" he added and walks away.

Matthias stands up and follows him "Hey, umm..We've introduced each other and that's cool, I hope we'll hangout more, because that's what friends are for!" He said. Lukas paused, realizing the word friends that felt like his heart dropped.

He turns his head to face Matthias and nods, making a small smile on his face. "Yeah, sure" he replied and pats the soldier's shoulder "now get some rest." He added, Matthias watch Lukas walking to the patients, with a smile on his face on how he is so caring and soft in the inside.

What he didn't know, is that he, himself is Lukas' first friend in his life.