Chapter 8

Maybe Uzumaki Naruto was expecting too much. But could you blame the boy? All his years no one wanted to befriend him. And now someone wanted to, he actually made someone smile! A girl, nevertheless. It was...  refreshing.

For some reasons, there's still a doubt in his heart that Lucy was just playing with him, but still he showed up. A fool he may be, but really, is it that bad to yearn for friends?

"Naruto-kun!" he heard a call from his left, and there he saw Lucy, he painted a beautiful smile. "You showed up!" he said, giddily as the blonde approaches. Lucy gave him a thumbs up

  "Of course I would, I never break my promises you know?"

Celestial mages always keeps their promise.

"You said you'd come back, Luce.."

Lucy's eyes widen when his–his voice echoed in her mind. It was full of pain—

 "Lucy?" Naruto waved a hand at her face, making her snap back to reality.  He looked worried, and scared. "ah– eh, Na–nat— Naruto." She shook her head and smiled sheepishly at the boy "Are you alright, 'ttebayo?" he asked, frowning.

 "Yeah, I'm fine...just, remembered something... " Lucy said, before she heard a grumble. Naruto blushed and held his stomach, it was a bit unexpected but not surprising, considering he hadn't eaten yet since last night, and now it's...  afternoon.

"u–uh... I'm sorry,  'ttebayo.. " He said, his cheeks tinted red. Lucy blinked at him before giggling "You're hungry, huh?" Naruto only nodded "Say, Naruto-kun, how about we get some ramen?"

Naruto's face lit up like fireflies "Waaaah! Lucy-chan you're a goddess! " he said forming waterfall tears. Lucy chuckled at the boy before speaking "Welp! I guess lunch's on me!"

::

"You also want to be a ninja, Lucy-chan?" Naruto asked, after hearing Lucy's plans to enter the academy. "Yes. It's just... ninja's fascinate me and they're cool right?" She said playing by the mindset of every child who wanted to be one, not knowing the horrors that comes within the job. 

Quietly, she thought how such a sunshine like Naruto would survive in such a bloodthirsty world.

He was too jolly, too bright for this world. He reminded her of life back in Fairy Tail when the war was yet to begin. Hopeful, Bright and Adventure. She solemnly swore that she would do everything so that children like Naruto could survive in such world. 

Naruto although a child, she had already considered her friend. She wasn't going to let him die. 

"Of course they're cool, 'ttebayo! The coolest! I'll become the coolest ninja ever and be the Hokage!" Naruto gushes, Lucy wondered if the child knows the existence of the amount of paperwork in the Hokage's tower.

She really couldn't picture Naruto doing those, but then again who knows? The blond is still a child. 

"Why do you want to be Hokage, Naruto-kun?" Lucy had asked, because- really, she couldn't just picture Naruto holed up in the Hokage's Tower signing papers, going in and out of meeting and organizing here and there. Not that she's saying he wouldn't be a great leader. He does have the charm to make people listen to him.