Chapter Five

"Awe, man. You work in a coffee shop?!"

Keith bursts into the café, hoisting his shoulder bag higher on his shoulder while he coughs into his left hand.

"This place is so cool! I used to hang out here with my friends. How come I never saw you serving here?"

"I just applied for the job three weeks—" Keith coughs again. "Ehem!. . .Ago."

"You sick?"

"No." He sniffs. "Hey, does a ghost living with you have any side effects?"

"What the fuck? What kind of question is that?"

"I don't know. I feel like shit ever since you came into my life."

"I can always leave if you help me ou—"

"Again with that crap!"

"Woah," Shiro says. "If you're so sick of me saying "you're late again", you can start showing up at work early for me to stop."

Keith stood dumbfounded as he was about to go through the other side of the counter. Shiro crosses his arms and raised an eyebrow at him.

"Shiro," Keith starts. "That really wasn't for you."

"Really? Who was it for then?"

"Uh, I was, uh. . ."

"Tell him that you were talking to yourself." Lance says.

"What?" Keith murmurs through grit teeth. "He'll think I'm crazy."

"Same thing he'll think when you tell him that you were talking to a ghost!"

"Well?" Shiro prompts.

"Uhhh. . . I was talking to. . .myself, cause, like, I always arrive late and I'm sick of it—" Keith coughs into his hand.

"Literally." Lance snickers.

Keith throws a nasty look behind him.

"Really?" Shiro asks as he puts both of his hands on his hips.

"Yeah, sorry about being late Shiro." Keith says as he puts his bag down and wears his apron and cap. Shiro's eyes widens as Keith stands behind the cashier, implying that he can take care of the customers now. He frowns when Shiro doesn't move.

"Uh, Shiro? I can take it from here. Is there something wrong?"

"N-nothing," Shiro blinks as if he was lost in his thoughts for a moment. "It's just, you never appologized for being late to me before."

Shit.

"Oh, ahahahaha. . ." He laughs nervously. "Is that a good thing or a bad thing?"

"You tell me." He leans against the counter. "Keith, is there something you're not telling me?"

Keith gulps, "What made you ask that?"

"You seem kinda bit off lately."

"I'm fine, Shiro." He says as he grabs a cloth and wipes the counter. "Nothing's going on."

"You sure? No one bothering you? Anything? Do you take off your bind—"

"Shiro!" Keith blurts out, his whole body frozen in place. "I'm fine. Don't worry. If something's wrong, I would've told you right away."

Shiro stares at Keith before he stands up straight. "Okay. Just. . .I care about you, Keith."

"I know."

They both nod before Shiro leaves the counter. When Keith's sure he's gone, he heaves out the breath he's been holding. Lance almost found out the biggest detail of him.