Chapter 2: Best Friends

I stepped out of my mustang out onto the black cement. It was one of those sunny days in Cali, where the sun was beating down on your bare shoulders and your hair blew softly with the breeze.

I started walking towards school, pushing through the many bodies stuffed in the hallways. I came to my locker and a smile broke out on my face. I saw my best friend in the whole world leaning against my locker.

I ran up, tripping over my feet along the way and gave Jason a hug. 

'Whoa! Nice to see you too Julie." A smile identical to mine broke out on Jason's defined, perfect face. I giggled letting go of him and opened my graffiti covered locker, the hinges creaking the whole way open. I began rummaging through the thick, dense forest of loose papers and textbooks, finding my supplies for first period.

Directing my question at Jason I asked with a smirk and a raised eyebrow, "So how was morning detention with Mrs. Brigs?"

And as if on cue, a loud groan followed. Mrs. Brigs is the Junior history teacher. She is the most boring, sophisticated, and annoying teacher you will probably ever meet. She was the book work type of teacher, which is hard when history is more of an aloud type of subject to teach. She also had this huge grudge against Jason for some reason. Almost every day Jason has morning detention with the psycho-path. The reason for today's detention:

He was writing to loudly.

Even Principle Bradley knows how absurd Mrs. Briggs is and doesn't put any of the detentions on Jason's records.

"Don't even remind me. It was awful."

I shook my head shutting my rickety locker, adverting my eyes to the right where I was met with green glass orbs, defined pink lips and a strait nose, framed by shining golden bronze hair. I let out a soft yelp startled.

Aiden gave a deep chuckle and grinned.

"Nice to see you Julie." His deep voice crowed. 

"H-Hey Aiden! Um, this is my best friend Jason. Jason this is Aiden."

I turned my head to look back at Jason, a hard, tensed, stone. His eyes were dark, like black holes engulfing anything that dares to come near it. I gulped as those black holes that were directed at Aiden.

I turned back to Aiden and gave him a shy smile, ignoring the rock breathing down my neck.

 Aiden's eyes quickly flickered to Jason. A lightning fast movement most people wouldn't notice.

But I did.

Trying to ignore the dense, uncomfortable air surrounding us I chirped, "So... Aiden, can I look at your schedule to see if we have any classes together?"

I could feel Jason's hot breath quickening as his eyes burned through my head.

Aiden hesitantly handed over the clean, white paper, his eyes not ever leaving Jason. His form matched Jason's, tense, on edge. But his eyes, his eyes still shined like the golden sun seeping through the green, leafy tree tops on the sunniest day in June.

I took the luminous paper compared the meek hallway, as the edginess and unsettling emotions swarm the air. 

"We have Math and English together." 

The air cleared, as if there wasn't a thunderstorm creating above us when Aiden's head snapped in my direction. A radiant grin filled the spot of his now deceased scowl.

"Cool. I guess I'll see you third period?" And with that, Aiden walked away with the sounding bell ringing in the background. 

I watched as his figure retreated down the hall get engulfed in the swarm of students heading to class. 

I felt a warm hand entwine with mine. Jason dragging me behind him with what I was sure was a scowl on his face.

"Jason, can you tell me what's wrong?"

"You don't understand Julie. He's not good."

"What do you mean not good? What are you talking about?" He heaved a loud sigh as the late bell rang. The hallways cleared as if a ragging tornado had swept through it.  

"I'll explain to you at lunch..." I heard him mumble. With that, I just dropped the subject and let him wear out the soles in my shoes.

><><>< 

It's third period and Jason is still acting like a ragging thunderstorm, destroying anything in its path. Well anything good anyway... I would keep pressing him to tell me what is so bad about Aiden, but I know he would say:

'Later...'

Aiden's eyes began scanning the room the second he walked through the door. When his eyes spotted me he strutted over and sat in the desk next to mine.

"Hey Julie."

The second those green forest eyes stood in the doorway, I directed my eyes to the crystal clear windows.

The chair beside me sounded a loud squeak, echoing against the four walls. I gave him a quick glance with a sheepish smile and nodded my head curtly. One thing I know about Jason is he always has a good reason not to like something or someone and the hatred he was directing at Aiden this morning calls for avoiding on my part till Jason explains to me what's going on. 

"Good afternoon class! Today we are going to be learning the basics of applications of conic sections. Please begin to work the problems on the board and then open your textbook to page two-hundred forty-five and begin reading."

I reached to open the text book and came in contact with a warm hand. I snapped my head in Aiden's direction. I felt like his eyes were piercing into my soul, I couldn't look away. A loud bang cause us to lose eye contact and I immediately turned around and started doing my assigned work, being sure to avoid any contact, verbal or physical, with Aiden.

This is going to be a long forty-eight minutes.