Chapter 2

It was almost time. Two hours until nothing in her life would be safe. She had planned what to pack for some time now. She packed the typical things that she would need. Though there were a few extra things that she added, because they were comforting. She packed her bible, her favorite picture of her and Nicole, and her headphones. Nothing was more of a comfort to her than her music. Her music had a way of solving any of her problems. Taking her to a safe place, where death wasn't always waiting around the corner. She then heard a knock on the door.

"Coming!" She yelled.

She opened the door to find her family and friends standing there. They carried balloons, cake, and small gifts. She smiled lovingly, looking over all the things her loved ones had done for her.

"I love you guys" she said smiling, as they gathered for one big group hug. Her family then pulled her into another room to tell her goodbye.

"We love you, and we hope that you stay safe. Remember, we'd rather you come home in one piece, then in a casket." her mother told her.

She laughed and said, "Mom, I really hope I come home in one piece too." Nikita gave her parents a hug, and then began to head out to her friends. "Oh! Mom! Please take good care of Deuce while I'm gone," she added, then left to be with her friends.

"I'd be happy to take you to the airport," Nicole offered.

Nikita said her goodbyes to her friends. Then she stopped by Deuce, squatted down, and gave her dog a hug. Deuce whined sorrowfully, looking up at her with loving eyes.

"Be a good boy Deuce," she commanded, and headed out the door with suitcases in hand. Leaving her life to wait here.

Little did Nikita know, there was a surprise waiting for her in the car. Jacob, her best boy friend, was anxiously awaiting her arrival. He had blonde hair and blue eyes. He was the star of the football team, and in most girls opinions he was considered the "hottie". Jacob and Nikita first met when Nicole introduced them. They immediately got really close. Jacob picked her up for school in the mornings and took her home in the afternoons. Though sometimes not immediately after school ended. He'd take her wherever she wanted to go. They'd spend hours talking about sports, school, how annoying parents are, or whatever else came to mind. He always called her Nikki. He was the only one she let call her that. It was their thing. She began to depend on him, she felt a smile creep onto her face whenever she thought of him. It scared her to death. The very thought of being happy with him scared her, so she freaked and stopped talking to him. Stopped answering the phone, wouldn't accept rides anymore, they were completely cut off. It had been 1 year since they last talked, and now she was left staring at his face, in the back of Nicole's car.