Chapter 3

Gabriel leads me into another small office filled and relief floods my body when I see Dad sitting in one of the chairs.  “Daddy!”  I exclaim as soon as I see him.  I can’t stop myself from running to his side and throwing my arms his shoulders.  I may be upset and confused, but knowing that he’s safe is all I care about right now.

“Avery, honey, I’m so sorry.”  He whispers into my hair as his arms hold me tight to his side, “Are you okay?” 

I nod, “I think so.  I’m so confused though.  Why didn’t you guys tell me?”  I ask, feeling anger and confusion bubble up inside me.

“I think it’s best if we wait for your mom and Jamie to get back.”  Dad says, a sad look coming to his face.

I shake my head, “Jamie’s in the medical center right now, Dad.  It’ll take him a while to be able to walk or move again.”  Doesn’t Dad even care that Jamie was seriously injured?

A voice behind me makes me jump, “Nothing a little Were gene can’t fix, Sis.” 

“Jamie?!”  I shriek, latching my arms around him.  He doesn’t even groan.  “Why are you suddenly okay?”  I ask, worriedly checking him for missing limbs or anything else that might have occurred while I was being taken away.

“Ave, this is why I haven’t been home in a while.”  Jamie says softly, moving his arms above his head when I motion for him to.  There isn’t even a scratch where Gabriel clawed him. 

“This is impossible.”  I whisper, touching the seemingly perfect area of skin.  Not even a bump.

“Avery, let’s sit down.”  Mom says, stepping out from behind Jamie.  There’s a couch in the room so we sit down on that, her hand grasping mine as she looks at me with a remorseful expression.

“I don’t think you guys will be able to come up with an excuse for this.”  I tell her, troubled by my conflicting emotions.  Part of me is angry at them and hurt that they’ve been lying to me for my entire life, while another part of me is questioning how I can be upset with the people I love most in this world, who have always been by my side and promise to love me for the rest of my life. 

“You’re right.  We have no excuses for this, only explanations.” She says softly.  “When Jamie turned three, your father got transferred to Arizona.  You were born about half a year later, so you never got to meet the alpha or be officially welcomed to the pack.  We think that’s why you didn’t shift when you turned sixteen.”

“Wait, so does that mean that Jamie shifted when he was sixteen?”  I ask, looking at my brother hoping his answer won’t be what I think it is.

“I never wanted to keep this a secret from you, Ave.”  He says quickly, sending me a sorrowful frown.

“But you did.”  I respond, feeling almost numb inside.  I don’t know why I didn’t connect everything before, but actually hearing from them that they’ve honestly lied to me and kept secrets from me my whole life hurts more than they will ever know.  “You all did.  You all laughed at me when Twilight came out, thinking it was hilarious when I asked if you thought werewolves could be real.  You all told me how silly I was for believing in magic and supernatural beings.  You all made me stop believing in the things I thought could be true, just so I wouldn’t find out your secret.  What was the point?”  My voice is barely above a whisper as I stare at the wall ahead of me.

“We didn’t do this to hurt you, honey.”  Dad says.

“But you did!”  I yell, unable to stop the tears that fill my eyes.  Everybody is silent as my mind floods with questions.  One question stands out the most, so I ask Gabriel, “What are the children like?”  I know it probably sounds random and unimportant, but I feel like I need to know.