Chapter 1

Hello!  I'm so glad you've made your way to my neck of the internet.  The first five chapters of Unexpected Mates are available to read here, but if you want to experience the edited, much improved version, please head over to https://www.dreame.com/chapter/136747.html I will be adding a new chapter every single day.

Despite having discussed it at home and during the long car ride to get here, I still can't understand exactly what I'm doing in Astoria Oregon.  I mean, I kind of understand what my parents are telling me, but it just doesn't make sense that we've driven fifteen hundred miles to congratulate and introduce ourselves to somebody's son.  Apparently one of my parent's old business associates or something stepped down from some prestigious spot and now his son is taking his place.

In the car, when I asked why we couldn't just send a basket of fruit with a card or something, both of my parents shot me looks that told me I should stop talking about it.  One plus side of this trip though is that I never realized just how pretty Astoria would be.  I remember it from The Goonies and kind of imagined it full of little kids running around on a treasure hunt.  As a child, that would've been awesome, but as a nineteen year old, I wasn't looking forward to it.  Luckily, we're staying in a really nice hotel that has a great view of the Columbia River. 

The receptionist gave me a barely restrained look of disgust when I asked whether the river was fresh water or saltwater, but I was mostly just proud of myself for knowing it was a river.  After that, we headed up to our room.  It was gorgeous and I was kind of surprised.  Normally on trips, my parents make us stay at a Super 8 or cheap motels.  This was luxury at its finest. 

When I told them I was going to go do some exploring, they both looked at each other cautiously.  'Guys, seriously?' I said, rolling my eyes.  Their over-protectiveness was getting to be a bit too much for me, so I reminded them that I was nineteen and fully capable of calling for help if I got lost.  They reluctantly agreed to let me go after that. 

'Remember you need to be back here before three o'clock, okay?'  Mom called out after me.  I nodded and closed the door gently behind me.

Now I'm sitting here at some really nice café, reading a magazine about home furnishing and taking what I feel are sophisticated sips of my hot chocolate.  "Hey, do you mind if I sit here?"  I hear beside me.  I look up and see a tall, pale, beautiful redheaded girl standing in front of me.  I nod my head, looking around to see that although the café is quiet, it's also pretty busy.

"Thanks."  She says with a bright smile, "I love coming here, but so does everyone else in this town." 

I smile at that and look back down at my magazine.  "So, you like Better Homes and Gardens magazine?"  The girl asks doubtfully. 

I glance up again and laugh a little, "Not usually, but it's the only one they're selling here."  I point to a rack that's overflowing with the same magazine I'm reading.

"Oh!"  The girl laughs, "You should have just gone across the street.  Betty usually keeps a wide variety of reading material." 

I tilt my head and nod, "Good to know." 

"I'm Clem."  She says, sticking her hand out.  "Well, Clemency, actually, but I always feel like I'm in trouble when people use my full name." 

I shake her hand, "Avery.  Sometimes people call me Ave, but when they spell it, it looks like the abbreviation for Avenue and it confuses me."

She laughs, "Very nice, I like it." 

I go back to reading until Clem leans forward with her arms resting on the table, "You know, that's an interesting scent you're wearing."  She says with a curious note to her voice, sounding like she's suggesting something.