No Mercy Prologue: The Creation of a Monster

No Mercy

Sweet Sacrifice by Evanescence

You poor sweet innocent thing.

Dry your eyes and testify.

You know you live to break me.

Don't deny.

Sweet sacrifice.

~~~

Prologue: The Creation of a Monster

Mystic Falls, 1864

All of the vampires within town were being carted away in wagons toward the church. The final outcome?

They were to be burned.

Quietly, Ashlynn Salvatore, the youngest of the Salvatore siblings, followed after her two older brothers without them noticing.

Nothing mattered to the two men at that moment besides saving the treacherous woman that both were so enamored by. So much so that they failed to hear the tell tale crunching of leaves and cracking of twigs that indicated they were being followed.

Ashlynn inwardly cursed as the sound of yet another cracking twig rang through the air. Glancing out from behind the trees she was hiding behind as she walked, she noticed that neither one of her brothers had heard anything.

She knew they had told her to stay home, but she couldn't. They were her brothers and there was a chance that their plan might not succeed. If that did happen, they would need her help.

Ashlynn hated Katherine more than anyone after having seen the way she pitted Stefan and Damon against each other, but if saving her kept her brothers happy and safe, then Ashlynn would help in any way that she was able to.

A small smile of relief appeared on the girl's face as she observed Stefan and Damon creating a successful distraction that then allowed them to get Katherine out of the wagon swiftly.

A sigh filled with relief exited her as she realized that everything was going to be alright. They didn't need her help and now everything was going to be okay.

Then two consecutive gunshots shattered everything, the sound piercing through the very air. As if in slow motion, Ashlynn watched as her brothers hit the ground, the sound their impacts made forever ingrained within her memories. Dark blue eyes stared, as if she couldn't believe what she had just seen.

Her eyes were locked upon the bodies of her two brothers and she took a single step back, tears welling within her eyes. The sound of a twig snapping resounded through the air, causing the shooter to lift his head sharply, eyes widening when his eyes met familiar dark blue ones.

Ashlynn stared at her father for a split second, just long enough for her mind to comprehend that her father was the one who had killed her brothers, before turning and running.

She could hear him shouting her name, but she didn't stop. She couldn't. She kept running until she burst into Emily's hut, out of breath with dried tears on her face.

Emily looked up in alarm, her eyes noticing not only the dried tears but the distress in the young woman's eyes. "What has happened?"

Ashlynn opened her mouth, but no words came out.

Emily stood up and placed a hand on Ashlynn's shoulder. "What happened?" She repeated worriedly, her eyes taking in Ashlynn's expression. "You're trembling."

It wasn't until Emily said that, that Ashlynn realized that she was.

"Dead." The brunette girl managed to get out. Tears began to trail down her cheeks once again.

The witch stared at her sharply. "Dead? Who?"

Ashlynn shook her head before looking at Emily with pleading eyes. "I-I can't stay here. I need your help."

"What do you need?" Emily questioned without hesitating. She owed Ashlynn.

Ashlynn looked at her helplessly, a hint of hysteria could be heard within her voice when she spoke. "What I need are my brothers." Her voice cracked.

Emily was smart enough to realize that Damon and Stefan were the ones who were dead. Also, Emily was smart enough to know that both brothers had been fed Katherine's blood.

Whatever happened, Emily knew one thing for sure. Ashlynn had to leave Mystic Falls before Damon and Stefan awoke in transition.

She didn't deserve to be thrust into the frighteningly real dangers of the supernatural world, not someone as wide eyed and innocent as Ashlynn Salvatore.

It was for that reason among others that Emily instantly agreed when the blued eyed girl asked for help to sneak out of Mystic Falls.

Unknown to Emily, by agreeing to help Ashlynn escape Mystic Falls, she was sending the girl headlong into the world of the supernatural, the very thing the witch had been trying to avoid.

By sneaking Ashlynn out through the woods and showing her what trail to follow to reach the next town where a friend of Emily's could help keep the girl safe, she was sending the girl to her death.

~~~

A/N: I'll try to have the first chapter out soon! As for what Ashlynn looks like, she pretty much looks like Zoey Deutch (from the show Ringer, she plays Juliet):) She has about mediumish brown hair with faint natural highlights from the sun and has dark blue eyes :)

The first chapter will start in present day!