A Speech And A Parent Talk

Max

We walked into the gallery like the ultimate "it-couple", trying desperately to hide the fact that we just got out of a big fight. My hand was snaked around Ally's waist, keeping her close to me, feeling her heart beat in sync with mine.

"I love you," I whisper as I lean down to kiss her hair. She looks up and kisses me full on the lips, before she starts to greet her guests. I walk over to a table where I spot Nico and Vivian Rosberg. Ally and Vivian met a few weeks ago, so I was happy to see familiar faces.

"Nico! How's the retired life?" I joke, shaking his hand. He smiles brightly, looking fresh and happy.

"It's nice and slow. I can finally live my life at a steady pace," he chuckles, causing Viv to roll her eyes.

"Ally is quite talented! I love the water color she did of the RB13," Viv comments, making me feel proud as hell. My girlfriend was talented, we all knew that much.

While we were making small talk and sipping on champagne, the gallery started filling up. I think there were at least eighty people there, all gawking at Ally's masterpieces. For once, I wasn't the centre of attention, and I loved it. She was radiating happiness and pride, mingling with all her guests with an occasional laugh or a joke.

I walked closer, but stopped mid stride as I saw Daniel and Ally in a deep conversation. I turn my back on them, but creep closer to a painting of the harbor, so I could be within earshot of their conversation.

"Daniel, you don't have to apologize. I wasn't angry, just sad..." Ally speaks in a reassuring voice. I could hear Daniel sigh loudly at those words.

"When Jemma and I broke up, I saw so much of her in you, and for a time I thought I might be in love with you..." He says, and my heart goes ice cold.

What is he doing?!

"But I'm not though, it's time I move away from Jemma, and onto something better. Someone who gets me, and likes all my quirks and imperfections," he says, and when I glance over my shoulder, he has her hand in his.

"But I do love you, though. You are my best friend, and I don't want to lose you. Not you or Max," his voice was radiating sincerity.

"I love you too, you're like the big brother I never had," Ally jokes before letting her hands fall back to her sides.

"Dan, I have to go though, I have to give the opening speech. But we'll catch you later, okay?" She asks, and I assume Daniel nodded yes because nothing was said after that. Within a few seconds Ally was standing next to me, pretending to admire her painting.

"He sounded extremely sincere didn't he?" She asks, causing me to sigh.

"What gave me away?" I ask, grinning down at her.

"I know you love me, but even you won't stare at a painting for 10 minutes straight," She laughs, causing my heart to melt. She is so beautiful.

She walks to the middle of the room, clinking on her champagne glass, trying to hush everyone.

"Thank you very much to everyone of you who came to my opening night, it means the world to me. This is my first business venture, and we all know how hard the arts can be," She giggles, causing most people to chuckle.

"But with something as big as this, there is always major support behind me. Jos, Sophie, thank you for making me a part of your amazing family. Sophie, thanks for all the biscuits and the Skype calls when I need motherly advice, it means the world to me!"

"Victoria, my soul sister, thank you for everything you do for me. You are the best person in the world, and someday I hope to be half of the person you are. And of course, my Honey Badger. Daniel, thank you for being my other brother, and always being honest about my ideas for paintings. I couldn't have done this without any of you."

She takes a deep breath.

"Max, my love, without you I would have been lost. When I was in a dark place, you pulled me out with your love. You brought me back and taught me that life goes beyond sadness and loss. Most of this exhibition has you written all over it, because as I have said before, you are my whole world. And I know we have our differences and quarrels, but somehow, you love me just enough to keep me around. Without you, I would never had been the person I am right now, and I love you for that. I love you now, I love you always."

A thunderous applause sounded, and only then I realised there were tears in my eyes. She walked closer to me, and kissed me passionately, taking my breath away. Her lips were sweet and soft on mine.

"I love you, sometimes slowly and sometimes at 300 km/h." I whisper, resting my forehead against hers.

"I like slow loving..." She whispers, biting her lower lip.

"Slow down baby, there are people here," I chuckle at my girl. She gives me a sly smile.

"Well later at home it's only going to be me and you..." She says, biting her lip again. The things she does to me...

Just then, my mom and dad walk over to us to congratulate Ally.

"Your speech was beautiful Allison, and you know we love you too. You're already a Verstappen in our eyes," my mom grins while giving Ally a huge hug. Ally thanks her just before my dad also pulls her in for a hug.

"So how is my grandson doing?" My dad asks, causing me to cringe.

"Dad, we don't know if it's a boy or a girl..." I say, but Ally stops me.

"It's okay Max, we have an appointment next week to find out, and we'll tell you right away," She says and smiles up at my dad.

"You want it to be a boy?" She smiles like an angel.

"A Max junior would be the best. But as long as the two of you are happy, so are we," he comments, causing Ally to blush.

"I think Max and I will be forever happy..." She comments, winking at me.

And I couldn't agree more.