Taking An Unscheduled Detour

As soon as the air from outside hit her face the tears began to flow.  She sat down against a nearby tree in the courtyard and cried into her hands.  This was the first time since moving to Ireland that she wished she had some kind of family to comfort her.  Taking a deep breath she pulled her phone out of her pocket and dialed the one person she considered her family.

      “Hello?”

      “Hey Alani, are you busy?” she asked, trying to mask the sadness in her voice.

      “Not at all, what’s wrong? You don’t sound right.”

Well so much for hiding my feelings.” She thought.

      “There was an error in the system and they overbooked the classes and dorms so I can’t start med school until next year.” She rushed out, she paused taking a shaky breath as fresh tears started to fall.  She stood up and started walking back to her dorm.

      “I’m so sorry sweetheart.”

“On top of that, they are giving me two weeks to find off campus housing.  Do you think you could help me find a cheap apartment near you?”

“Why don’t you just stay at my house for the year?  It makes no sense for you to pay all those charges for an apartment and then the travel to get here to watch Brady when you can just stay here until you go back to school.”

Lana pondered the offer for a moment.  She really struck gold when this family decided to hire her.

      “Are you sure, Alani? I don’t want to intrude-“

      “Don’t even say it,” she cut her off, “you are family.”

“Alright! Thank you so much! You have no idea how grateful I am to have someone like you in my life.” She gushed, “I promise I will never be late on rent.”

“Oh no you don’t.  You will not pay rent. Just save it.  Lana, you don’t know how much good you have done this family. So, I am going to rally some troops and we are going to get you out of there today.” Alani said.

      “You don’t have to rush. I have two weeks until I need to be out.”

“I know you, Lana. You will just be reminded of the situation if you stay there and I will not have you depressed for two weeks. Besides you already have everything packed. It makes no sense to unpack it then re pack it in two weeks. You are getting out of there today.” She ordered.

Lana let out a small laugh.  She knew Alani was right.

“You are so bossy, you know that?  I have a couple things to finish up but it won’t take long. I will be ready in an hour.”

      “Good. I will send over some helpers.”

      “Thank you again, Alani.”

      “You’re welcome, dear. See you soon.” She said.

                                                    Lana walked into her room to find Karis sitting lazily on her bed.

      “There you are! I was about to send a search party.” She scooted off the bed and walked over to her with a grin plastered on her face. “I have so much to tell you.”

      “I’m sorry, Karis. You are going to have to tell me some other time. I need your help.” 

Karis listened intently as Lana recounted the day’s events.

      “That is straight shit!” she yelled.

“I know but there is no point in dwelling on it.  Nothing can be done.  Let’s just finish packing up the closet.  Alani said she was sending some people to help.”