The Final Chapter in My Life

"That was a sad story grandpa." The young girl next to me says.

"Perhaps, but Jane, everything happened for a reason. I mean I got to have five amazing grandchildren and three amazing children. A wonderful and beautiful wife. " I look at my family that watches my with eyes full of pity. They all know why I'm here in this white room. I see their pain and sorrow. Their eyes filled with horror and disbelief, just like mine were so many years ago.

"Grandpa, will you ever see Clementine again?" I smile at James question.

"Why, I'm here with her now. She never really left me. You know you remind me so much of Clementine. You always have a smile on your face." I softly say.

"What about me? " Little Johnathan says.

"You're an awful lot like me. Very, well, high spirited, but you have some moments of weakness." I say calmly.

"I'm not weak! I'm the strongest guy I know! Once, Jane was being teased and I shut those guys up real quick." The young fella says as he raises his fists.

"Woah there kiddo,  no need to be feisty." I look at my family once more. I turn to my eldest son Jacob and wave him over to me.

"Yeah pa?"

"I think this will be the last time I see you."

"Don't say that pa."

"I can feel it. I can hear Lucy and Clementine calling to me. They are here with us." I whisper. I can see Jacob's eyes fill with concern and sadness.

"Look at me Jacob. I'm not in the best of shape right now."

"You look fine to me." He says with denial.

"Now, look around you. Where am I?"

"A hospital pa." He lowered his head.

"I've been here more times than I can count. Something's been keeping me alive, with everything I've gone through and everything in my life. Something is keeping me here, but something's different this time son. I  don't know when or how, but all I know is soon." Jacob looks at his sisters and brothers. The adults in the room stand still and quite, while the children talk and play without a care in the world. Hours pass and one by one my children and my grandchildren leave me alone in this white room.

"Good-bye grandpa." Jane says before she shuts the door behind her. I am once again left alone in the room.

Eventually, I drift off to sleep. At first it is dark, but a light is shown in the distance. My body feels warm and relaxed, I have this good sensation running through my body. I slowly walk up to the light and stare through it. I step into the portal-like light and find myself in the center of my little farm house that I grew up in. Everything is exactly how I remember it. The dining table and the radio sitting next to it. I look around with astonishment. I look out the window and see the horrid lake that caused me havoc all those years, but I see someone standing at the shore. I exit the screen door and hear it clank behind me. As I grow nearer, I see a tiny girl looking out onto the lake with a pink and blue boat tied to the dock next to her. The lake didn't have that awful feeling anymore. It is  calming and enlightening to see as it glistens in the warm, beautiful sun.  The girl looked back at me with a smile.

"Clementine." I whisper.

"Yes?" She replies sweetly.

"Do you know who I am?" Clem nods.

"I've been waiting for you Arlo. I've missed you." She says softly to me.

"I've missed you too." I reply.

"Hey Arlo?"

"Yes, Clem?"

"Can you row the boat for me?" She looks up at me with a sparkle in her eye.

"Sure Clem." I smile, take her hand, and walk her to the docks once more.